FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imported footage showing as created 1 Jan 1980

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma Crouch
Imported footage showing as created 1 Jan 1980
on Nov 6, 2013 at 1:52:29 pm

Hi there.

I am trying to import files from a filmmaker, captured on a Canon 7D into FCPX. Instead of converting to ProRes before giving to me, so that the files would be smaller to transfer over to my HD, they have copied the card, so now I have several card folders (14) with .MOV files (H.264, Linear PCM), and .THM files. I am now trying to import into FCPX, and then transcode to ProRes, but am coming up against two problems:

- all the files are showing as created 1 Jan 1980 00:00:00. When looking at the info on the HD they provided, the 'date modified' info shows the correct date/time of the footage, but 'content created' shows as 1 Jan 1980. The closest thing I have found to why this might be is because they didn't set the date/time in the camera? But I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem. Obviously, this is creating a complete nightmare when trying to identify clips and edit in with my own footage of the same event. Is there any way to transfer over the 'date modified' data to FCPX to reference, or even the individual file name (e.g. MVI_0894).

- in the import window, the files are showing as MPEG4, rather than .mov, and I wondered why this was?

I usually work with AVCHD footage from my own camera, so am up to speed with the quirks of using that footage, but this is the first time to work with DSLR.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I have googled for a while now, please just point me in that direction if I am repeating content. Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Imported footage showing as created 1 Jan 1980
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:52:08 pm

That date comes from the file creation date which was set by the camera. So the person never set the camera time correctly.

I suppose you could change the metadata a few ways, but I wonder if the specific problem you're having is because FCPX defaults to grouping clips by date making an event a mess if you don't have the correct date?

If so, that can be turned off by clicking the gear in the lower left of the event window, finding "Group Events by date" and selecting "Don't group events by date."

While you're there you might like to go down to "Group Events By" and selecting none.

I hate that these are defaults because it can make really small events look like a mess right off the bat.

Hope this helps!

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:07:38 pm

Loren is absolutely correct and this will probably solve your issue.

But, if you'd like to keep the date organization, you can use the:

Modify > Adjust Created Date and Timeā€¦ menu in FCPX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:50:10 am

Thanks Loren and Jeremy for your replies. I already have the group events by date turned off and unfortunately there are so many clips that renaming date and time stamp on each would take far too long.

For anyone else with this problem, the solution I used in the end was:

Modify > Apply Custom Name > Original Name from Camera

This carried over the data of eg. MVI_0894 which put the clips in creation order. so when not in 'group events by date' as Loren said, it's a bit more ordered. It's not perfect as you can't go easily to 'the speech at 10.14am' for example, but at least gives some guidance.

I am still intrigued as to why the clips are showing up as MPEG4s in the import window though, when they are .mov's on the HD?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:04:40 pm

I'm sorry, Emma. I misunderstood you.

Yes, when ever fcpx imports a movie and need to "rewrap" it, it will name the file the creation date.

As you discovered, it's very easy to revert to the original names.

MPEG4 is simply the codec and it's in a .mov wrapper.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:16:12 pm

Thanks Jeremy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]