FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has FCX reached a professional status?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
Has FCX reached a professional status?
on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:57:26 pm

Hi folks,

I'm still on FCP7 and just wants to know, whether X has made the step onto a professional level. I mean functions like relinking files, setting them offline, share a project file, working with XML files etc.

thanks

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Has FCX reached a professional status?
on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:43:29 pm

What do you need to relink?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:11:42 pm

Let's say I have a project file. I open it and can relink the offline clips,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:22:33 pm

This opens up a discussion on how FCPX works.

If none of your media has changed, there is very little reason to relink media in FCPX due to the way the Events and Projects are structured, and this holds true across different computers and hard drives. If everything is in the right structure, there's no reason to relink files as FCPX simply knows where they are.

If, for whatever reason things are offline, relinking in FCPX is very easy and there are a few ways to do it including reimporting the media, using the Relink function, or simply dragging the media back in from the Finder.

Where it might get tricky is if you have created a different subset of media form the original media (like a pile of graded clips with matching tc that you want to relink you original edit to). That can be harder to do, but if you have an FCPXML (or an XML that you can translate) it's much easier.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:45:06 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

this is one big question answered. Another question is: If I've got a huge database with managing a lot of clips, how many clips can FCP X take within one project?

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:58:18 pm

[Rainer Wirth] "Another question is: If I've got a huge database with managing a lot of clips, how many clips can FCP X take within one project?"

Honestly, I don't know as I haven't personally hit any sort of limit. How many clips are you talking about?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:03:02 pm

Ranier,

To the best of my knowledge, there re no artificial limits on the number of clips X can handle.

But you also need to understand going in that X's "organizational" system is totally unlike any other NLE software that I'm aware of. It uses a database model to drive it's Event Browser. That means that you can create the type of organizational structure that you feel best suits your needs.

And every user approaches this differently.

If you want a nice look at ONE type of organizational structure, my next webcast (this Wednesday at 7pm US Mountain Time) has a piece by forum regular Tony West where he shows the way he organizes a documentary he's working on. I found it fascinating, because the way he organizes his projects are unlike anything I do. That's the cool thing. When you have a flexible tool, you can use it the way it makes most sense to YOU.

It's free on LiveStream at AZFCPUG - and there will be a gateway link to it on the AZFCPUG.ORG website.

Check it out if you're interested.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:35:05 pm

Hey, Bill.

Will you make that a new post once everything is online? I'd love to see it once it's all up there.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:33:32 am

Sure.

I didn't realize until last month that LiveStream auto-generates a compressed copy of ones webcasts during the broadcast that you can "post publish" for repeat viewing! So I was shocked to come back last week to my channel and find the last show waiting there for me to trim the front and back of the capture and "publish" it. I had thought I'd need to spend time and a lot of hassle to encode and store it up there.

So much to learn and so little time!

I'll try to get Wed's show up as fast as I can and post a link when I do. I'm also trying to whittle the show down to under an hour - while a live meeting can be longer to accommodate the in-person socializing - a broadcast that long can be a tedious thing!

Just trying to learn what works in the new form!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:40:34 am

[Rainer Wirth] "how many clips can FCP X take within one project?"

I've had a project with over 3500 clips, it took a little while to load, as it would with any NLE, but once it does it worked as well as a project with 300 clips. I would imagine this would continue to be true the more clips you put in.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:28:01 pm

Hey Rainer,

FCPX has come a long way since it's original release, and many of the things you're questioning about have been reintegrated. Many of them for well over a year.

Have you played with the program at all? If not, I would say it's worth downloading and playing with with some free tutorials cued up on YouTube. If you have tried it before and found it lacking, it may be worth waiting until the next big update, which is coming in about a month. Right now FCPX hasn't had any feature updates in over a year. While the fundamentals of the way the program works likely won't change, there is likely to be a whole host of performance and feature enhancements in the December release.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:18:31 pm

Hi folks,

this sounds very fascinating and I will give it a try. Thank you very much for your input. I`m looking forward to see Bills organizing stuff.
Thanks for listening to a stupid question.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]