FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - Slicex or all out Mocha Pro 3.x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Gibson
FCPX - Slicex or all out Mocha Pro 3.x
on Nov 1, 2013 at 5:28:50 pm

Hi,

I will be doing a few projects that require all kinds of masking, Roto and tracking in FCPX.
Is the SliceX good enough or should I go to the eXtra ( sorry couldn't resist ) mile and invest on full Mocha Pro 3.

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
Re: FCPX - Slicex or all out Mocha Pro 3.x
on Nov 1, 2013 at 6:41:09 pm

If you need to do a lot of dedicated roto & masking work, I would recommend trying mocha Pro.

SliceX is excellent for tracking masks but can limited simply by the fact that it is a plug-in. For example, many roto jobs require breaking up an actor into multiple layers (head, torso, limbs, etc). Mocha Pro is made for these type of tasks with unlimited layers, whereas you would get pretty bogged down in SliceX with 1 mask shape on each instance of the plug-in.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:47:52 pm

I use both and it really depends on the job. I had a simple object removal on a hand held shot (just 5 seconds) and completed it in just a few minutes in SliceX with Mocha. It is just amazing that you can do this inside an NEL. For comparison I then tried it with AE and Mocha. Ouch! Took dozens of steps in AE and Mocha.

However, many things just can't be done with Slice X: Set extension, object replacement, anything more than basic root, you definitely want to use Mocha. The workflow is simply superior. Slice X is for quick cleanup. Mocha is for a larger workflow.

If you have creative cloud, then a limited version of Mocha is included. But if your job can pay for it, Mocha Pro is quite phenomenal.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Max Gibson
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:14:29 pm

I took the time to experiment with SliceX in FCPX and Mocha Pro this last weekend. It's amazing the power of these tools and what they can accomplish in so little time and almost no user intervention ! WoW !

On the contrary to some negative opinions about the Mocha Pro's user interface, I found it intuitive and user friendly. One just need to spend the time to study and experiment alongside a few tutorial videos and you are good to go. Same for SliceX. Clever and easy as slice bread. SliceX is a must have.

Well, I purchased the SliceX after 5 minutes of using it. I will purchase the Mocha Pro as well. Mocha Pro's tool sets and efficiency will pay for itself in only one job. I wished it was priced bellow $1K but hey it's worth every penny for the magic it performs.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. My special thanks to Ross for detailed info and links.

Now back to removing the chocolate from the lead cast's smiles ( all 18 takes ... LOL ).

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:29:25 pm

Glad to help!

For people that feel mocha Pro is not in their price range, I encourage you to join the Imaginer Systems mailing list. Black Friday/Cyber Monday is coming soon! ;)

http://tinyurl.com/mocha-list

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]