FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam synchronisation.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
multicam synchronisation.
on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:40:14 am

Hi... I have got a load of footage to multi cam.

Other than using a clapper board which I didn't have on this occasion (just clapped my hands) and looking at when the start/ end /duration of clips... is there any way that FCPX can be intelligent enough to suggest which ones might be syncronizable with the others for multcam linking?

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
Re: multicam synchronisation.
on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:39:13 pm

Anita, if you have decent audio for all of your angles, you should be able to get a good sync. When setting up your multiclip you will have various options for syncing, one of which will be audio. Just be sure to assign different angles for the cameras in same take.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:34:27 pm

[anita sancha] "is there any way that FCPX can be intelligent enough to suggest which ones might be syncronizable with the others for multcam linking?"

Hi Anita!

The good news is that you've learned it for next time. ;)

For now your best bet is to use the metadata you have at hand and getting your creation time accurate. For example see here, my Canon 7D and H4N Audio Recorder creation dates are off my an hour (I showed some clips that were already named for clarity here.)

Using Modify > Adjust Creation Date on all the H4N to move it back one hour. This of course presupposes that you already assigned the Camera Name or Angle Name for your clips. You can do this all at once in the Inspector.

Once this is fixed, you have some options. One would be to sync this entire reel (just grab all the audio and video), and you can use the automatic settings (which will work) or you can modify them like this:

You'll end up with something like this:

There are gaps, but you can close those up and have your entire reel synced up in a few minutes.

Next time, if for some reason you don't have a clapper do this:

- Buy a slate for your Phone. Well worth it.
- If you don't have a slate, stand in front of the camera, clap your hands and give an "audio slate" i.e. say the words of what you are doing.

I do this ALL the time. Plus I've synced an entire movie in FCPX. Let me know if you have any questions.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:37:24 pm

Oh, one thing to note. If you are doing editorial you might have multiple takes that sound exactly the same, so you might see some issues with the sync grabbing the wrong take. This is typically a minor issue, but something you should be aware of.

To fix it set your video to the monitor angle and then move your audio in the ballpark. Then from the Angle menu choose "Sync Selection to Monitoring Angle", and then FCPX will get you a sample accurate sync.

Enjoy!

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:28:50 pm

To make things simple I choose to sync on first marker and leave audio sync checked.

The multi cam is created MUCH faster this way because it looks to the marker for ball-park and then adjusts from there for perfect sound sync. If it had to search the entire length of every clip to determine the sound sync then the process takes MUCH longer!

So, just play until you clap your hands and create a marker. Don't worry that you're exactly on the right frame. Just be close.

If you have a camera that would start and stop be sure to give every clip from that camera the same camera name so you can also choose to organize angles by camera name. That way all the shots will be on the same angle and not create many new angles holding only one clip.

Amazingly, it appears to me, that you can also put a first marker on the first clip of the camera that has many starts and stops and FCPX will still know how to organize those clips fast even though all the rest of the clips won't have a first marker.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:37:48 pm

Thanks.... yes it is finding the clips to synchronise... I used 2 canon s100 and a 60d. The 60d was out by one hour... so I have been matching as best I can by listening to the clips....thanks for the last post... should be able to sort this out in the next clip folder....... and thanks for slate idea will get.... only wondered if FCPX could do this.

Even so for some reason....today synchronising has not been easy.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:59:34 pm

Interesting I am having the same problem as this guy (see link) and the marker fixes it but I wonder why FCPX is failing to sync as it should.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 3, 2013 at 5:00:26 pm

Interesting I am having the same problem as this guy (see link) and the marker fixes it but I wonder why FCPX is failing to sync as it should.

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:36:31 pm
Last Edited By T. Payton on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:39:19 pm

In reviewing that video from Stacy, Final Cut is doing exactly what it should do. These two clips with the same camera name (i.e. same angle), with offset timecode as well as offset creation dates. I can understand it can look like Final Cut has changed, but it is much more likely that the camera clocks got off more than usual, and because of that that automatic syncing is coming up with those results.

Here are the two clips from that his video:

The FCP manual spells this out here: http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#ver26f5c183

"If you use the automatic method for creating angles, Final Cut Pro uses any Camera Angle tags in the selected clips to name the angles in the resulting multicam clip. If no Camera Angle tags are present, Final Cut Pro uses Camera Name, Name (clip name), or Camera ID metadata to name angles."

My multi cam workflow is:

1- assign unique camera names or camera angles
2- add metadata such as title, roles, audio channels labels, etc.
3 -create multicam clip.

Does this make sense?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:38:51 pm

ahhh it's the fact that the clocks have not ben set properly...in my case anyway.
anyway the markers are a good way of fixing it of one has been a silly boy as had I..

Thanks

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:57:18 pm
Last Edited By T. Payton on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:59:45 pm

i have found that accurate Creation Dates are unbelievable valuable for organization. We ensure that all our devices are as close to atomic time as possible before we shoot and it saves a huge amount of time.

If for some reason you can't adjust the time on a camera or device, do a little offset measurement. Grab an iPhone or iPad with MovieSlate (awesome by the way) or other TOD generator, and then point all your cameras and audio devices to it and record and audio slate like "(device name) Timecode Offset Measurement" then give out the time code and then clap. If you can't get the cameras together, no problem, just do it individually.

See here this camera is off by an hour:

(this is a simplistic example because it is a still camera, you obesely need to be a little bit more sophisticated in calculating the offset for a video, or audio.)

Now when you are in Final Cut, when you find that first clip, you can know the exact amount of offset you need to adjust each devices "creation time and date" (you select all the clips for one camera/device and adjust them together), so everything is accurate.

Now you will have a much easier time syncing, creating multicam clips, etc. This is especially critical when you are shooting images or clips without sound.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]