FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting with roles as multitrack Quicktime reliable for you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Exporting with roles as multitrack Quicktime reliable for you?
on Oct 29, 2013 at 7:34:31 pm

For several versions of FCP X now we've been having inconsistent issues with exporting roles as multitrack Quicktime.

I get the audio mix from our sound mixer/designer and connect that to my edit. I assign it a role called "audio mix". When I export I make sure that's the only audio that is exported, but sometimes other audio from the not assigned to that role ends up in the exported Quicktime movie. This is really causing a problem to the point where we cannot trust FCP X and have to export the Quicktime, bring it back in, strip the audio, and connect the audio mix then make yet another Quicktime move. This insures that there is absolutely no other audio that can be exported.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Exporting with roles as multitrack Quicktime reliable for you?
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:44:35 pm

What roles are you exporting? For multi track qt's I set a different role for each track for export. L, C, R,Ls, Rs, and stereo right and left. When adding them you have to delete what is there then add each track in the track order you want. It might be the extra sound is that the default is still there.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:49:59 pm

Let's say I have D, M, and E. I bring in the audio mix and give it it's own role. When I setup my Quicktime for export I choose only the roles I want - video, titles and the "audio mix" role.

I've made completely sure before doing the export process that roles are properly assigned. What is happening is that roles such as the dialogue from the original video clip is being exported even though it explicitly is not a role I include in my export settings.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:08:15 pm

Can you post a screen grab of your export settings? It was really tough for me to get my head around how to set everything up. It's the only thing about X that makes me miss tracks at all.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:53:44 pm

Here's a pic of a piece of my storyline and the share setup window:

Tangier

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:37:43 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "Here's a pic of a piece of my storyline and the share setup window:"

I think I see the problem.... deselecting Roles in the timeline index does not disable them. It's essentially for monitoring purposes. If you export a timeline with all roles deselected, it will still have audio, To truly disable all audio, you need to select it in the timeline and hit "V". Do this before you add your stems and you should be good to go. Now, the fact that you're only selecting the mix role and still getting other audio is odd, but if you disable (not just deselect/mute it) everything else it shouldn't be a problem..

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:44:09 pm

Hi Charlie. I understand that there's no relationship between deselecting the role in the storyline index and the export process. My understanding though is that no matter what I have selected in the index the only roles that will be exported are the ones which I choose (per the proper role assignment AND what I've enabled/disabled in that role).

As I've stated before, this performance for FCP X multitrack Quicktime exports has been inconsistent; sometimes working flawlessly and other times not working at all. Perhaps it's a bug.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:49:10 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "As I've stated before, this performance for FCP X multitrack Quicktime exports has been inconsistent; sometimes working flawlessly and other times not working at all. Perhaps it's a bug."

Very possible, I assume you've sent feedback... :-) I do think the workaround would be to actually disable everything but the mix for export. That way you need not duplicate the project to delete the audio. I've had no problem with multitrack exports, but most of mine have been simple, and not attempting to exclude anything, just assign Roles to discrete stereo pairs in the multitrack QT...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:44:54 pm

The best way to export without any audio issues is to duplicate your project. Call it "online" or "Mix" Select all media clips and detach audio. Once the audio is detached simply delete them. Then add your mix and stems with proper roles. If you need your scratch audio you can always go back to your prior "creative cut" if need be.

WORKS!!

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:55:05 pm

I hear you. So perhaps it seems you have to have a workaround since using roles for a multitrack Quicktime can't consistently be trusted. That's unfortunate. I really like being able to use roles in this way.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:18:48 pm

[Jordan Mena] "The best way to export without any audio issues is to duplicate your project. Call it "online" or "Mix" Select all media clips and detach audio. Once the audio is detached simply delete them. Then add your mix and stems with proper roles. If you need your scratch audio you can always go back to your prior "creative cut" if need be."

Camera files with video and audio have separate roles. (Default is V1&A1) You can change just the audio to it's own role that you can call camaudio or whatever you like under edit roles. I haven't had any surprises since I got the hang of it. It was not easy.

Jordan's suggestion is a great way to be completely sure, but you can consistently control this. I have a feeling that when the next version of X comes out this will be easier.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:29:04 pm

Correct about the camera files - that the video and audio have different roles; video, and dialogue in my case. If you look at my image you'll see that for monitoring purposes (in the left image) the dialogue is off and greyed out in the storyline Though this is strictly for monitoring purposes. The dialogue role is not part of my export settings. Perhaps it's a bug; albeit a longstanding bug over several FCP X versions. FCP should ignore any roles I don't assign for export.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:12:45 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "Perhaps it's a bug; albeit a longstanding bug over several FCP X versions. FCP should ignore any roles I don't assign for export"

I completely agree with that. If it's turned off it shouldn't go out to a master like it always has been, but I found out the hard way that isn't the case here.

This is a puzzler, so I did a test. Made a project with camera files with audio, plus zoom audio. I selected all the camera files, set their audio to 'camaudio' my fake role, then had dialogue and music set as roles. I had no camera audio. I even deselected some camera audio clips and left the rest active. Everything went to the stereo mix as it should. I had no camera audio at all in the exported master.

You created the role called 'audio mix' right? Is it a role or a subrole?

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:32:33 pm

"Audi Mix" is it's own role. Not a subrole. It'd be one thing if this happened all of the time. However since it's inconstant it's harder to ascertain what causes this to happen. I wish FCP had a reporting log where I could watch what's happening; kind of like OS X console.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 30, 2013 at 12:26:49 am

[Tangier Clarke] " I wish FCP had a reporting log where I could watch what's happening; kind of like OS X console."

I'm right with you there. That sh

I haven't had this problem. I have been conforming feature length documentaries with many different formats, and export without any issues. I have also made AAFs with XtoPro without a hitch. To answer your original question I haven't had inconsistent problems with this. It's only when I've missed something that I have had a problem.

I'm completely stumped.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:31:01 am

What happens if you turn those roles back on and export the audio mix role?

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:34:38 am

Never came across this. Roles work as they should here. (Sometimes clips end up in the wrong track, but then it turns out the roles were simply set wrong!) Did you double check?

A workaround for you would be to completely leave roles alone. Since you only export an audio-mix, you don´t really need the roles-workflow, do you?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:39:06 pm

[Eric Sternberger] "A workaround for you would be to completely leave roles alone. Since you only export an audio-mix, you don´t really need the roles-workflow, do you?"

I think Mr. Clarke's issue is randomly having unwanted camera audio in mixes.

Do you have XtoPro? I'd like to see an AAF from a project you have this problem with. If the rogue audio happens in FCPX, but not the AAF, it's a glitch. If it's the same in both, we can pinpoint what is going on.

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:29:01 am

[Darren Roark] "I think Mr. Clarke's issue is randomly having unwanted camera audio in mixes. "

Thanks for pointing that out to me, but I´m completely able to read myself.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 31, 2013 at 7:40:12 pm

[Eric Sternberger] "Thanks for pointing that out to me, but I´m completely able to read myself."

I didn't mean to offend.

I was confused by your suggestion of avoiding using roles on export. I don't know of a way to avoid using camera audio without deleting it from the timeline or using roles. I could be completely wrong about that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]