FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mavericks Not Doing it for Me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Mavericks Not Doing it for Me
on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:29:59 am

I wanted to like Mavericks. I'm always among the first to upgrade. But I'm experiencing some problems and my son, a director, was experiencing a nightmare last night night. For him Nuke was lagging and produced a faulty file. Everything for him was lagging and he has Mavericks on a recent MacBook Pro.

For me, spacebar preview in the Finder won't work on a movie compressed with Streaming Hints. All MP4s for us so far. I can't spacebar preview a WMV file any longer even though I have Flip 4 Mac installed. Content Browser to import XDCAM discs now takes a while to initially read the disc.

FCPX is lagging. It catches up but going back to the app is no longer quick to get going again.

I have Mavericks on a recent MacBook Pro with plenty of RAM and on a 2009 Mac Pro. On the Mac Pro I was smart enough to install Mavericks on its own hard drive and so the machine is dual-boot. I'm going to go back to Mountain Lion with a re-boot. But, I don't suppose there's going back on my recent MacBook Pro.

So, I'm putting this out there to see if others are having the same experience.

Don Smith

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Mavericks Not Doing it for Me
on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:58:30 pm

Nope. I'm seeing speed increases all 'round on all my computers (various iMacs, Mac Mini, a couple of 13" MacBooks) But I made sure all the software I need to run was Mavericks tested and compatible before I upgraded.

I did a clean install on all my editing workstations and, while I can't say if it's Mavericks specifically or just because of the fresh install, FCPX seems to be operating better than before.

The MP4 thing is a bit unfortunate but I understand there's a lot of new A/V code under the hood, so it's not unexpected that there are a few hiccups. If you are jumping in on the dot zero version of anything you have to expect some issues.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 26, 2013 at 6:39:48 pm

I'll echo Jeff. A friend of mine was having similar issues to you with system sluggishness. A fresh install cured it and his system is running better than before.

I did a straight upgrade and it's been ok. But I'm still considering a fresh install just to see if it works any better once Adobe released the next upgrade to the CC. Seems like a good time to reinstall the major suites.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2013 at 1:48:41 pm

You can always do an internet restore back to the os that came on the machine.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:03:16 pm

I would, at the very least, reinstall any applications that are giving you trouble.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 27, 2013 at 12:34:39 am

@Don - some have been reporting that the upgrade process put them in this same sort of situation - lag, sluggishness, old stable apps flaking out.

In every case that I've tracked, by performing a bare metal reinstall of Mavericks (use this method if you want to create a flash drive or DVD: http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/12/make-boot-os-x-mavericks-usb-install-drive/) followed by reinstalling your apps has resulted in a new amazed convert to the goodness that is Mavericks.

HTH,

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 27, 2013 at 10:39:22 am

Tim, I read your advice just after doing almost exactly what you outlined. And, yes, now the performance is amazing! The only difference is that I let the install migrate apps and files from my backup. If the performance had not improved I would have then tried it one more time and do another fresh install of the OS and then install all needed apps fresh from their source. But that was not needed. Not on my laptop.

My work 2009 Mac Pro is another story. I did a fresh install on it but the performance is not up to par. I would try a fresh install of the OS and then a fresh download and install of the apps but that will be a LOT of work. Honestly, I'm thinking of just rebooting back into my Mountain Lion boot drive and living with that for a couple of months until I can replace my aging Mac Pro with the new one. Can't wait.

The quirk of not being able to Finder preview MP4s that were compressed with Streaming Hints turned on remains. Can't Finder preview WMVs either.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2013 at 1:57:48 pm

The other thing to check for is to see if spotlight is indexing your drive.

The spotlight magnifying glass in the top right corner of the screen will have a little dot in the middle if it's indexing.

When you click on it, it will tell you it's indexing.

That can take a while and slow down performance as it rebuilds the spotlight files.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 27, 2013 at 4:47:55 pm

Are you sure that your preview tool is working under Mavericks? QT doesn't preview WMV's so you must have a third party CODEC installed. I use Telestream's Flip4Mac and the latest version works properly for me on my rMBP and my Mac Pro 4,1.

Also, is Spotlight enabled for your drive(s)? That's what Finder uses to preview things.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 27, 2013 at 5:11:38 pm

Hi Tim... Preview non-functional for an MP4 on my desktop that was compressed with Streaming Hints checked in Compressor. I have a paid version of Flip4Mac installed and preview is also non-function although the movie will launch into QuickTime Player 7 without forcing a conversion. I have Spotlight on and both files are on my system drive. If you can get, say, a WMV file to preview in the Finder, I would like find out what I'm missing.

Thanks very much.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2013 at 5:20:51 pm

Have you opened the system preferences, clicked flip4mac, and checked to see if you have the latest version? If so, have you tried to reinstall it? What are the options you have listed under the "player" tab?

Are you sure this license is activated?

Have you tried modifying your sandbox prefs?

Have you contacted telestream?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:07:53 pm

Very odd. I've got no issues with any media in Finder. Maybe migrating the apps didn't really get the job done for you. What happens if you uninstall and reinstall Flip4Mac and Compressor?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:12:42 pm

I have the same issue with wmv files, even after a reinstall of flip4mac.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:25:59 pm

I know this seems odd, but what setting do you have assign under Safari Preferences -> Security -> Manage Website Settings for Flip4Mac? I know what the warning says, but Telestream recommends setting this to "Allow Always".

I've seen Safari settings interfere with Finder before.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 28, 2013 at 1:43:31 am

I have the same problem with wmv files. Installed the latest Flip4Mac version.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:58:27 am

Ooof! I'm now eating crow. I just updated another machine from 10.8.5 to the release or 10.9.0 instead of the Developer Gold Master (GM) as on my rMBP and I can no longer preview MP4, AVI, or WMV files. They work fine with Flip4Mac in FCP X, but not in Finder. It appear to be related to Quicktime, however, since even calling "Open With ..." Flip4Mac Player results in an attempt to convert the file and then a failure to display the file.

I'm opening a bug report with Apple on this as that must be something that changed in QT between the GM released to developers and what got posted for download by end users.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Sam Bennett
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:43:44 am

Download and install these "ProApps" QuickTime codecs to get Quicktime to open the files normally without converting and also to resolve the Quickview (Spacebar Preview) issue.
It's free from Apple. Why they didn't just leave them there for Mavericks, I do not know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

The codec adds back support for these formats:
•Apple Intermediate Codec
•Apple ProRes
•AVC-Intra
•DVCPRO HD
•HDV
•XDCAM HD / EX / HD422
•MPEG IMX
•Uncompressed 4:2:2
•XAVC

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396