FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting for Audition / Soundtrack

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Wheatley
Exporting for Audition / Soundtrack
on Oct 25, 2013 at 8:35:42 am

Hi

I'm teaching a few classes at a college in the UK and they are using FCPX. We are also trying to teach them about exporting the audio to edit in a proper audio editing piece of software (Audition is what we have access to at the moment).

I've had a bit of a look around the internet (though admittedly not a thorough search) and it appears that the only option is to buy more software. Unfortunately, the college doesn't have that kind of money to buy the software for all the machines and so that isn't really an option.

Is there another way of doing this, however fiddly, that doesn't require extra software?

Thanks

Sam

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Exporting for Audition / Soundtrack
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:30:15 pm

I'm curious about what it is about the built-in tools in X that are causing you to feel it's required to go outside the program in order to properly equip your students to do audio work.

Core Audio built into the X system is capable of maintaining absolutely pristine audio quality. Typical timeline audio techniques such as J and L cutting - basic multi-track mixing and with a nice selection of what are essentially the Logic plug-ins are built into the program - it's a pretty capable audio suite as it sits.

Heck, I even do my voiceover work and general radio production in my FCP-X timeline these days.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who spent my early career as a major market radio station production director - I fully understand that audio can be numbingly complex and if a user wants to get into forensic repair, solve deep anomalies, or use specific tools that aren't available in a general purpose Video editing program like X then moving to another program makes sense.

But that said, I've found that as someone fully grounded in proper field recording techniques and familiar with the general audio editing tools in X - I haven't even had to launch an external audio editing tool in more than a year.

So again, what specific operations do you feel that your students need to go outside X in order to learn?

I know it's missing things - and the development path of Roles appears to be the foundation for X addressing many of those. So I'd be interested in knowing what audio operations you feel are "mission critical" enough to spend time training your students in the larger, more complex and expensive external programs?

Honestly curious.

Thanks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Exporting for Audition / Soundtrack
on Oct 25, 2013 at 9:43:36 pm

Without buying more software, I'd suggest exporting from FCPX using the option to export audio roles as individual files. You lose the ability to edit the audio on a per clip basis but you can cut things up in audition if you need to.

Not as nice or flexible as using something third party to convert the fcpxml but it works. I tend to do a role per scene.

As Bill says in his reply though, you can do a lot in FCPX before you go to something like Audition for finishing.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]