FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual monitors and Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Dual monitors and Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:48:38 pm

Don't know if this is just me but..

If you have a Mac with two displays, you need to go into prefs -> Mission control and turn off "displays have separate spaces" - otherwise FCPX will treat each screen as a separate screen, and when you select show viewer on second display it will open it up in the same window.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Dual monitors and Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:48:53 pm

Actually, it'll work. But you need to set it up. For me I had to show the events in the main window (that's what was on my second display), then make sure the second display was in the finder, then show events on second monitor. Each time you launch X, you need to make sure that second monitor is available to take the events (meaning it's in desktop/finder), or it'll put the events on top of your first display.

I too though have turned it off. Premiere and AE have the same issue. And once you've got the windows how you like them, you can't just use app+tab to switch between apps. It only switches one screen at a time. So you have to switch apps, and then mouse over the second screen and swipe (if you're on a trackpad).

Being on a trackpad makes the whole dual full screen thing a bit easier. But still wonky. And there's really not much point in full screen apps. A couple pixels added real estate, but you can't drag between them. It's just a lot of annoying swipe candy.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:48:31 pm

Hi Bret

I actually managed to get it to work by going to mission contro/spaces (you know by swiping down) and dragging the window to the second screen.

Of course it then stays there if you change spaces on the main screen.

For editing I think I'll leave it off as its better to move between spaces and have say FCP X make way for Motion on both screen - at least thats I how roll.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:50:37 pm

I tried to adjust all day yesterday, but turned it off as well.

What was the other reason for going to Mavericks again? Oh well, it was free.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:53:27 pm

I quite like the tabs in finder.. And Safari seems faster..

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:55:08 pm

Ah, yes! Tabs. I forgot about that. Nice.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:12:28 pm

Tabs are good, Tags will be good, Safari and the interface itself are faster, much better battery life, better notifications and all the under the hood changes that will be preparing us for FCPX 10.1

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:00:49 pm

And if you haven’t turned on enhanced dictation, do it. I set mine to double tap left cmd key to activate. Enhanced checkbox will download 750MBs of data so that dictation doesn’t have to ‘phone home’ like the iPhone does.

It’s so fun.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:48:41 pm

how well does it work when you say, "can I have coffee, please?"

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:55:46 pm

[John Davidson] "And if you haven’t turned on enhanced dictation, do it."

My son just installed Mavericks last night, so I took a look at the Dictation program. Amazing! I haven't looked at dictation programs since the '90s. This works great. I've not seen a lick of instructions for it yet, but I tried saying, "comma", "period", etc., and it adds them. This may be the inspiration I need to finally upgrade the OS.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Oct 27, 2013 at 11:50:04 pm

Thanks to this thread, I figured out dual monitors in Mavericks - but - now I'm having a problem when I use shift-c to enter crop mode. The space shifts one over! If, after I move back to the FCPX space, I click the 'crop' button the space slides over again. Very annoying. I tried looking in the preferences pane but found nothing.

Anyone else having this problem?

Return to posts index

Anibal Nunez
on Jan 7, 2014 at 4:03:19 pm

Thank you for the info. It was driving me crazy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]