FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing AVCHD clips from Sony NX5U into Final Cut Pro X latest build

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Lockhart
Importing AVCHD clips from Sony NX5U into Final Cut Pro X latest build
on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:53:12 am

Hi all,

I am a new Macbook Pro owner who is just trying to import clips from my Sony NX5U into Final Cut Pro X latest build. When I try to do the import from the camera, the AVCHD folder is greyed out. I have googled and fiddled for most of the day and I am frustrated. This should be simple.

Can anyone shed some light?

Gary Lockhart

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Importing AVCHD clips from Sony NX5U into Final Cut Pro X latest build
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:18:33 am

Hi Gary,

Please post the actual version number instead of "latest build".

I work with NX5U clips all the time and am currently running FCPX 10.0.9 on OS X 10.8.4. I highly recommend that instead of importing from the camera, you remove the SD Card from the camera and copy it to its very own folder on your media drive. Nothing else is ever to be put into or taken out of this folder, it is dedicated to this one camera card backup. Then in FCPX, import clips from that backup.

Or you can use FCPXs built in camera card archive function. Either way you really need to have a backup of the original camera card, with its file structure perfectly intact.

I'm not sure if that will solve your problem, but it's important nonetheless. Do your video clips playback fine in-camera using the visual index?

Return to posts index

Gary Lockhart
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:54:47 am

Thanks for the reply.

I am running OS X 10.8.5 and FCP X 10.0.9.

I did copy the entire folder to another folder on the hard drive. The AVCHD folder has an icon with a Q on it, and the description says, "AVCHD contents." Again, that folder is grayed out and is inaccessible in Final Cut Pro X.

I clicked on the AVCHD folder and chose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS until I could see the MTS files. I even copied those files to the folder that the files structure from the card is in. They are also greyed out in FCP. When I try to play those files, the Quicktime player is grayed out, too.

Gary Lockhart

Return to posts index

Gary Lockhart
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:45:11 pm

OK, after having googled some more and not having found a solution, I bit the bullet and purchased ClipWap 2. Resulting clips import with no problems.

Thanks for the assistance.

Gary Lockhart

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:32:56 pm

Gary,

I bit the bullet about 1 and a half years ago and bought ClipWrap for Canon AVCHD and have not regretted it. I still back up all the original files and it's card structure, but I prefer the convenience of wrapping the files, tossing the junk, and viewing them before I begin the edit. Works great for me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I also re-name all my files to something that makes sense to me before the edit.

Also, at least for my size AVCHD files and Projects, I never use Proxy files, but you may need to for your Sony files if editing slows down.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]