FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple projects sharing GFX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Merkes
Multiple projects sharing GFX
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:32:19 pm

Hello,

Has anyone else found the linked projects to be difficult?

I tried to do a simple two version project and found it very difficult to accomplish.

What I was trying to do was to have one version of a project with a different end slate from the first. I copied the first project and worked on the copy. When I changed the title on the end GFX on the second project it also automatically changed the first project (even though I did not want that one changed and I was not editing the first project). I had to rebuild the end GFX from scratch in order for it not to change the original version. Any insight would be appreciated.

I also have found issues when I use sub-sequences to edit master sequences. As I fine tune the master sequence (by double clicking on the embedded storyline to reveal master clips) I have found that the original sub-sequence gets updated automatically - very scary when others are working on and sharing sequences (projects) to build their own master sequence. I think a re-work of our workflow is in order. Not sure how to do it though.

Thanks for input in advance.

Greg Merkes
Salty Dog Films

Its easier to ask for forgiveness. . .

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Multiple projects sharing GFX
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:18:41 am

If something you change in one project is changing in another, then you're using compound clips.

Compounds are unique. They are the ONLY asset in X that is "bi-directional" in that data flows both into and OUT of them upstream in the metadata flow of the program.

The key is to go to the second project where the clip is used in the timeline, select it, and then Modify - Reference New Parent Clip to break the relationship.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Multiple projects sharing GFX
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:00:51 pm

As Bill said, it appears you are working in compound clips. While they act the same as projects, they are not the same at all. The "reference new parent clip" command will create a new, independent compound clip that will solve the specific problem you have now. But, if you are indeed cutting your sequences in CC's (to avoid the project library or something) I'd suggest not doing that, despite the recommendation to do so from some folks. You can convert CC's to projects by:

Creating a new project
Cutting the CC from the event into the project
selecting it and choosing "Break Apart Clip Items" (clip menu or SHFT-CMD-G)

CC's are great, but were never intended to be used the way some folks are using them, which may or may not be your situation. I'd also refer to the manual's explanation of how they work so it'll maybe make more sense than I (or Bill) have. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]