FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to split clips with the Range Selection tool?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Is it possible to split clips with the Range Selection tool?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:23:26 pm

I have a timeline with 2 camera angles. One camera angle is on the primary storyline and the other is connected to it as a connected clip. I've already gone through and removed the sections that are not useable so I can see at a glance when I have a shot from one angle, but the other angle doesn't have a useable moment. I just disable/enable the clips on the timeline to switch between the angles, which is a really handy way to be able to visually see what I'm working with.

What I'd like to be able to do is use the Range Selection tool to quickly select a range on one of these clips, and Split the clip where the range is, so I can then quickly enable/disable that section. I know that you can Select a Range and have it trim the clip so that what's outside of the range gets cut away, but is it possible to leave everything as it is and just have it split?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Greg Merkes
Re: Is it possible to split clips with the Range Selection tool?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:35:02 pm

Hi Dustin,

Rather than range selection I think that you would be better off using the Blade tool to split clips.

Hope this helps.

Greg Merkes

Its easier to ask for forgiveness. . .

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:45:04 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Was just hoping to use the range selection as that would make a quick drag select and split a nice, smooth, single gestural move where as with the blade tool it becomes a several click, clunky operation.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:42:08 am

I'm not sure why you're trying to do it this way.

If you don't want to use the amazing multi-cam system already built into X (which does fine with 2 views, even though it's built to do 16 (or even 64!) ... you can just put your cutaway (B-Cam) view on the primary and slap your A-Cam over it as the secondary. Then just blade and peel back your A-roll in the secondary to "cut to" the B-Roll shot on the primary. As long as you let the magnetism keep them in sync (don't grab and drag them unless it's OK to lose sync!) you won't have any issues.

Then when you've got a rough cut done - just use the "overwrite to primary" command to collapse the secondary clips in one fell swoop down onto your primary. Then you can just ROLL the edits with the trim tool to adjust them.

It's kinda a kludge, but it's the price you pay for trying to make X work like a traditional NLE. Just understand that by doing it that way, you're pretty much working around all the new goodness actually built into the software. But it will get the job done without your being forced to learn in too much depth, how X is actually meant to operate.

(Hint, it has a fabulous multi-cam system purpose designed to make it easy when you actually have more than one synced cameras to work with - Heck, it doesn't even much matter if the original cameras stayed rolling or in sync, X has a killer flexible system for syncing them after the fact inside the multi-cam suite!)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:18:18 pm

I know all about the multicam system, and set up everything that way at first.

The reason I want to work this way is because I have gone through and done the work of clearing out everything that is NOT a useable piece from a shot. Now in my timeline I have ONLY the useable ingredients I have, instead of re-watching thru my multicam clip and re-seeing all of the camera bumps and other things I don't want to see any more.

I'm not trying to make FCPX work like another NLE. I'm making it work like FCPX, except THE WAY I NEED GIVEN MY PROJECT.

I always find it interesting on this forum how many times you get the obligatory "why are you doing it that way?" when you ask about something totally different.... Believe it or not I actually know what I'm doing...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 24, 2013 at 7:38:42 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "The reason I want to work this way is because I have gone through and done the work of clearing out everything that is NOT a useable piece from a shot. Now in my timeline I have ONLY the useable ingredients I have, instead of re-watching thru my multicam clip and re-seeing all of the camera bumps and other things I don't want to see any more.

I'm not trying to make FCPX work like another NLE. I'm making it work like FCPX, except THE WAY I NEED GIVEN MY PROJECT.

I always find it interesting on this forum how many times you get the obligatory "why are you doing it that way?" when you ask about something totally different.... Believe it or not I actually know what I'm doing..."

Then let me simply inquire why you didn't just use the REJECT dashboard tag to do everything towards "clearing out everything that is NOT a useable piece from the shot?"

After which, you can STILL sync those in multi-cam?

Or why you didn't let X sync the shots - then just post switch the "good parts" and when you get the resulting multi-cam compound clip on your timeline - use the "first and last" cuts from your switch, to chunk out the crap sections?

Honestly, just wondering why you seem to want to so do much of what could be seen as unnecessary work on the storyline.

I'm not saying it IS unnecessary - just that it might be.

Also, the reason my default concern is that people I don't know here might be using it like a traditional editing system - is that most new users tend to do that.

If you happen to be an "experienced X user" when you post a question, then note that, and I can eliminate that assumption. If not, I think it's fair since there are far more inexperienced editors when it comes to X than experienced ones.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:13:35 pm

The reason I'm doing it this way is because all of my selects and organization is taking place inside the timeline. I'm not doing any of the organizational work in the event browser. Everything is pulled into the timeline, and then trimmed DOWN from there, similar to taking a block of stone and chipping away at it. That is why it's important that I see at a glance where my useable material is. I want to go through and do the reductive work ONCE, and then never have to step into a clip again to see what I've got. I can simply hit play on my timeline and I've got instant dailies/selects one after another.

I've attached an image so you can see what I'm talking about. As you can see from the gaps in the connected clip, that is where I DON'T have a useable shot from one angle, but can seen from the clip below it that I DO have it in the other angle.

Just like anything in post production, or in art for that matter, there are many ways to skin a cat, and this happens to be the best way to skin it given my material and the ultimate project that it is. Just like there is no one way to hold a paint brush to get the stroke you want. FCPX luckily gives us as artists several ways to accomplish our goals, so there is no one right way, or is there is no 'use it as FCPX, not as a traditional NLE.' the point is just, use it to cut footage.

I appreciate the concern, but it does become tiresome at times when posting on this forum about simple questions and then having someone say "I don't understand why you're doing your workflow that way. Do it this way."

It's like walking into a store and asking where the wetsuits are and then having the store owner say "I don't understand why you're surfing. Why aren't you snowboarding?"

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:51:15 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "I appreciate the concern, but it does become tiresome at times when posting on this forum about simple questions and then having someone say "I don't understand why you're doing your workflow that way. Do it this way.""

There is literally no way for any of us on the forum to have any idea exactly what you know or do not know regarding FCPX and your workflow. If you don't tell us at the beginning, then what most of us (like Bill in this case) try to do is offer suggestions that may prove more useful or time-saving than what you're trying to do based on the info we've been given. Especially since, in this case, the short answer is that the range selection cannot blade both ends of a clip so you can disable with a single keystroke.

The reason for the other options or workflows is because people read this forum to learn. For people who are trying things out and aren't sure, these proposed workflows often give people a way of working on a project. You shouldn't be offended that replies to your queries offer suggestions that don't work with how you want to work. They may apply to someone else.

If you are really interested in specifically directing the answers to your question, then I would consider over-sharing about why any other method won't work for you in order to head off those suggestions. That way, the suggestion still makes it on the thread for those looking for it and since you brought it up and discarded it, no one else will bother.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16:20 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "The reason I'm doing it this way is because all of my selects and organization is taking place inside the timeline. I'm not doing any of the organizational work in the event browser. Everything is pulled into the timeline, and then trimmed DOWN from there, similar to taking a block of stone and chipping away at it. That is why it's important that I see at a glance where my useable material is. I want to go through and do the reductive work ONCE, and then never have to step into a clip again to see what I've got. I can simply hit play on my timeline and I've got instant dailies/selects one after another."

Well, OK, but this makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me.

X has an amazing set of dedicated tools to do precisely what you seem to say you want to do - and you're simply choosing not to use them to do what they're purpose designed to do.

You say "I'm not doing any organizational work in the event browser." Yet that's the primary purpose of the EB. It's why it exists. To me it's like saying i had a flat time, so I decide to gather rocks from the nearby field in order to raise my car off the ground so I could change it - while willfully ignoring the jack in the trunk.

Keywords ( and more precisely the dashboard tags of Favorite and Reject are bespoke tools for doing precisely what you seem to be trying to do on your storyline. The "Reject" tag exists to reduce your view to only the footage clips that meet your idea of useful.

Then when you "hide rejected" it's does the next step - non-destructively hiding from view the parts of your content you don't want to have to deal with. It's exactly taking the stone and chipping away at it. And the "hide rejected" filter exactly lets you "see at a glance what my usable material is" The ESSENCE of the system is to allow you to REJECT once and "never have to step into the source clip again" unless you decide you want to temporarily "show all" for your own purposes. Then in the thumbnail view, you have a visual display of all your "selects" that you can skim, view and further refine. This is precisely the "selects, one after another." you seem to want.

Then you can just slap your second angle into a storyline. Have X sync the second angle in the angle editor to those selects - and skim through to see if there's something on the non-selects camera angle that you want to preserve.

Sorry, but I still think that trying to do sync operations or, more accurately - multi-cam pseudo cutting in a storyline is a kinda silly practice given the amazing tools in X built to do just this kind of task in a much more automated fashion.

It still seems to me that you're starting out with the presumption that the best way to do this is the way we all had to do it before tools like X. And that you're not giving the real power of X a chance to help you.

But it's your edit. Do it as you like. I't's possible that I don't understand some subtly of your process or needs.

I just do quite a bit of work like what you're describing -and the way you say you're doing it doesn't seem particularly efficient giving the way the tools like multi-cam and the magnetic timeline can work in consort to make tasks like this so much easier.

Good luck with your project, however.

Hope it comes out the way you want. That's all that really matters in the end.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:29:45 am

Would it not be much much easier to do all your trimming down from there at the very least using two camera multi cam even if you do not want to use the Event Browser to organise your footage? But I also do not understand why you would want to work this way. You are choosing not to use two very powerful helpful features in the software designed to help you do the kind of work you are doing.

What are the reasons and benefits of your choice of workflow here over the "recommend" modus operandi?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:14:52 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "What I'd like to be able to do is use the Range Selection tool to quickly select a range on one of these clips, and Split the clip where the range is, so I can then quickly enable/disable that section. I know that you can Select a Range and have it trim the clip so that what's outside of the range gets cut away, but is it possible to leave everything as it is and just have it split?"

Don't know if this helps, but you can select a range and replace it with gap (which just deletes the range if it's connected) If you want to leave the range intact it's probably not what you want to do... As a workaround, If you want to leave it, you can select the range, copy it, delete it (replace it with gap or FWD delete key) and then paste it back into the space. (make sure to snap the playhead to the first frame of the gap just created before you paste it back) So... around 3 quick keystrokes, but not too bad?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]