FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline clips keeps randomly showing up in some of my Events.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Offline clips keeps randomly showing up in some of my Events.
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:19:36 am

I've taken to using Compound Clips as Sequences instead of projects. I have all of these compound clips in an event called SEQUENCES.

However -- Every time lately that I open up FCPX, there are some clips showing up in this SEQUENCES event that don't belong there, and they are marked as offline because they are missing proxies (I'm working in proxy mode).

These clips are clips, or sometimes other compound clips that I've used in the sequences, but the clips themselves in the Event are not the ones that are used in my "Sequences" (Compound Clips). They are basically orphan clips. I know this because I can use the 'open in timeline' command, and the clip just opens in it's own timeline, not within the sequence that I know the clip was actually from when I used it.

Every time I open FCPX I've got about 5 or 6 of these rogue clips, that I just have to delete. It doesn't do any harm to my sequences, but it is rather annoying, and I would rather just find out what the cause of it and why they keep showing up there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Offline clips keeps randomly showing up in some of my Events.
on Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10:31 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "I can use the 'open in timeline' command, and the clip just opens in it's own timeline, not within the sequence that I know the clip was actually from when I used it."

This is not the function you think it is. Open in timeline is just stepping into the clip. It will not reveal a sequence that the clip has been edited into.

As for why you have clips appearing from nowhere, I have no idea. Are you importing or capturing to the wrong event?

And on a personal note, what benefit do you find of usining compound clips as projects vs. just creating a folder in the project library (you can call the folder sequences if you wish, but everything in there is a sequence) as the app was designed? I'm all for breaking the rules when there's a benefit, but I haven't seen one for my workflow.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:29:29 pm

I know some people recommend this workflow for back ups but it seems you are trying to force X to work like 7 here and what I have learned on my journey is that it really pays off to go with the flow and learn to work in a different way.

Not especially technical advice I know!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2013 at 4:37:16 am

For backups? If an event goes corrupt you'll lose all those sequences at once. If you're versioning projects in the library all the projects would have to go corrupt as they all exist separately.

Now if you're putting copies I the event, but still using the library, I could see that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]