FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wacom tablets

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Wacom tablets
on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:41:53 pm

I have purchased a Wacom Bamboo to try and save m rotator cuff.

What I dislike about it is the cursor is very "drifty"...this is what I have always hated about PCs when I have had to work with them...the mouse on a mac is so much more accurate for selecting things...especially words when dealing with text.

Any tips on how to make it more friendly? I have fiddles in system prefs but it doesn't seem to make any difference please?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Wacom tablets
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:23:26 pm

How long have you had it? It took me about 3 weeks to become at all comfortable with it. Probably a couple months before it was second nature.

For some things, especially in editing programs, it's going to be sub-par to a mouse or other pointing device. I miss having an easy way to scroll such as the middle button on a mighty mouse. However, it still prefer it because I work long hours at editing and I've never worked with anything more comfortable.

That said, I prevent cursor drift by how I hold my hand on the tablet. I don't hover above the pad with the pen. I set my hand down on the tablet, on it's side, resting. The pen sits between my thumb and forefinger as normal with the nib pointing down towards the pad. At that distance, the pen works as a pointer, and I just glide my hand across the surface of the tablet, steady and without having to lift it. When I need to click, I roll my hand the direction of my curled fingers and the pen touches the pad and nearly the same spot where it was hovering. For double-clicks I make sure that the two position button on the side of the pen is set to double-click (on lower) and right click (on upper). I don't have to dip the pen to double click or right click items.

Hope that helps.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:33:43 pm

I'll just add that it can be pain of your tablet isn't large enough in comparison to your screen size. In pen mode, the bigger the tablet surface, the less fiddly the mapping is and the easier it is to use.

There is a mouse mode but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a tablet - although in your case you want a mouse replacement so it may work for you. Running a tablet in mouse mode would drive me crazy though :-)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:30:13 pm

Try changing to 'mouse' mode in prefs - a lot easier.
Jon

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:35:55 pm

Bless you...many thanks

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:41:00 pm

what is the point of pen mode BTW?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:03:47 pm

[James Ewart] "what is the point of pen mode BTW?"

It is more like a control panel.

The bottom of your wacom is the bottom of the screen.

Left edge is the left edge, right edge is the right edge.

It's the only way that Autodesk Smoke works with a Wacom. I hated it at first. I found it really annoying, and then once I started to become more familiar with the Smoke configuration, the pen mode made a bunch of sense.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:41:14 pm

Best thing about a mouse is I tend to leave it on the desk. With a tablet, that pen always tends to walk off. Usually lands near the coffee maker.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:32:36 pm

True, but there's a mouse for the Wacom as well! :)

I have an addendum to the pen mode. James. With pen mode, you don't have to drag the cursor to where you want it to be, you simply point the cursor on the part of the screen you want it to be.

It takes a minute to get used to not "clicking and dragging", or just dragging.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 18, 2013 at 4:41:01 am

Thanks I was still scratching my head to figure the difference...got it thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]