FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX re-Transcoding when sharing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil hastings
FCPX re-Transcoding when sharing?
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:13:48 am

I've been working on some short projects that are very very effects heavy and I'm having a terrible time exporting. I have a ProRes 422 clip that runs approximately 4 minutes. I'm rendering in ProRes 422 and sharing using "same codec" options. The renders take forever, but I expect this. I'm using 10-15 effects plus 4 layers of color adjustment many of the effects are custom designed in Motion. But once the clip is rendered, FCPX is transcoding again when I share the clip. I am using the range selection option.
Any thoughts as to why FCPX is transcoding again?
Specs: 2x2.4 quad-core, 19GB RAM, OSX 10.7.5 and FCPX.08

thanks

Phil

http://www.philhastings.com

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: FCPX re-Transcoding when sharing?
on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:59:10 am

FCPX is indeed re-creating the file from all its individual components when exporting, even if the clip has been rendered on the timeline. That's because the render files are not actual QT movies but just pre-calculated references to all instances of the clip. The more filters you have on a clip the longer it will take to render and export.

Once the clip has been rendered it will take less time to export it. OTOH you will find that exporting an unrendered clip is faster than to first render the clip first and then export it.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:54:38 pm

What is the best way to export a clip like this and then reinsert it into the project, to save the frequent re-rendering during the editing stage?

Return to posts index

phil hastings
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:22:21 pm

Based on Ronny's statement, it seems it would be to simply export and not render in the first place. Then bring this export back into the project.

It's a bit frustrating knowing that FCPX isn't rendering QuickTimes "but just pre-calculated references to all instances of the clip" especially when these pre-calculated references take up as much space as a QuickTime file on my hard drive.

Phil

http://www.philhastings.com

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:05:00 pm

Rendering to QT files was unique to FCP and it had its advantages and disadvantages. With computers getting faster all the time rendering and exporting times will further decrease. The problem with exporting and re-importing is that when you do this you cannot make any changes to your edits anymore, unless you create new Projects all the time. That was the same in FCP7.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:19:42 pm

[phil hastings] "It's a bit frustrating knowing that FCPX isn't rendering QuickTimes "but just pre-calculated references to all instances of the clip" especially when these pre-calculated references take up as much space as a QuickTime file on my hard drive.
"

This is largely because Quicktime was as much a problem as it was a solution, IIRC.

From what I've read, by dumping QT in favor or AV Foundation and Core Video, X unhooked itself from an aging technology that was fast becoming a performance roadblock in the new era of "any resolution in - any resolution out" workflows.

X reflects that. Yes, we give up "just make everything a QT file and the world will be happy." ease.

And in exchange, we don't get color shifts during rendering, lose clunky old math with lousy precision, and gain the flexibility to maintain quality output no matter WHAT you had to use to create your work - from GoPro to 4k and beyond.

In this complex world of ingest and export, a program that makes as few as possible assumptions about what the original format might be, what you need to change it into in order to effectively edit it, and how you might want to export it - is a WONDERFUL thing.

I'm currently editing the show awards reels for the Rocky Mountain Emmy Awards - I've received award submission "video files" from stations all round the southwest. Probably 15 different originating formats from Flash to X-264 to stuff grabbed off station websites in god knows what formats. I've gotten some files that, when dropped on MediaInfo - result in a BLANK display. It's a NIGHTMARE of incoming formats.

Out of 150 submissions or so, I've had maybe 20 that I've had to run through another parser to get into X.

That's pretty amazing, if you ask me. And when I put them on my 1270 FCP-X timeline, they look pretty dang good considering some of the horrible compression stuff in play.

This is what you GAIN when you de-couple your NLE from old technology and start off understanding that the world isn't what it used to be.

Useful software that works well when confronted with our increasingly format fragmented industry.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]