FORUMS: list search recent posts

Files in Event Browser Blank

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayland Bell
Files in Event Browser Blank
on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:02:10 pm

Hey all! Well I'm a rut. I was finishing up a primary correction a huge live multi cam shoot I had edited on my 4 year old mac laptop. Then out of nowhere the screen goes black. The computer is still on and plugged in mind you. I realize there is not much I can do, so I force shut down. When I get it back on, FCPX chokes on the loading screen during the "Updating 'Said Event'" portion. I hide the event from it just so it will open. Opens fine.

Quit it. Replace event. Opens fine. Try to open the sequence, that little updating event bar rolls down and, after ten minutes of it, I know I have a serious problem. I hid the event again and was able to open the project and export a XML (I'm still hoping I might be able to use that in some way, maybe just opening it in premier or davinci).

As it is, now I have the project hidden and the event opens fine. Id'd like to use that XML to recreate the sequence again but the clips are missing. Not actually, as they do not have the "Unlinked Media" image on them. They just are blank.

In fact if I right click on them and reveal them in finder they are right there. They just dont show up. Trying to use the "Relink Files" command nothing appears in the list.

Any help would be much appreciated! I was so close to completion and now I'm stuck behind some mysterious corruption.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Files in Event Browser Blank
on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:45:22 pm

Have you tried opening the backup?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:21:15 pm

Not sure of the cause, but I have a 5-yr-old MBP running FCP X and it's barely functional with FCP X. Yet it's fine with PProCC, Avid MC and FCP 7. FCP X demands more RAM and GPU horsepower than this machine can muster. I only use it for FCP X for very light work or as a back-up to the MacPro (currently in the shop for repairs). I found that any third-party effect that is GPU-intensive completely locks up the application.

How long are you waiting to let your Event load? Maybe it's just a buffering issue. Have you tried switching to the list view? If so, do these clips appear when you highlight one of them?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:53:17 pm

If you play the blank files in fcpx, can you see them?

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 14, 2013 at 1:10:19 am

Hey guys! sorry for the silence.

Andy - Yes I tried the backups, bot for project and event. They work, as so far as the Event backup shows about half the clips I have (I'm assuming the backup was from before I added the other media). The project backup doesnt do anything new. I get the same "Updating event" taskbar when I click on it.

Oliver - It's been slow going all the way through. I let the event load for about 10 minutes before I cut it off. Would you recommend letting it take it's time? Some other post about similar stalling issues seemed to suggest that after a certain point Final Cut is just not going to open it. 10 minutes was an arbitrary limit though, and if it might open, how long would you recommend letting it twirl? I have not tried switching to list veiw, I'll give that a go.

Jeremy - No they don't. Oliver suggested list view might help them so I will give that a try.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 14, 2013 at 1:28:33 am

Just tried doing it in list view and they showed up! But so did the "updating event" barber pole at the top so I'm in the same place essentially. I'm going to let it keep going for a while though as, as Oliver mentioned, maybe the age of my station might mean things just take longer. I'll let you guys know if anything comes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:00:24 am

In think your thumbnails are corrupt.

Quit fcpx, find the event folder, find the render files folder within it and trash everything in it.

Relaunch fcpx.

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:31:53 am

After an hour of waiting for the "updating" nothing changed.

Thanks Jeremy. I gave that a try. Reopened and before I got to select the timeline, it went right back into updating. I'll let it run again for a bit just to be empirical about it, but I fear that might not be it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:49:08 am

Are the media files linked or do you have hard copies in the event?

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:49:22 am

They are linked, or at least they are not in the event themselves but in a separate folder in the same root drive as the event itself.

I should make clear my intention which is to retrieve the edited sequence where it was when the computer crashed. If I could do this in a different editing program I would be happy, but I fear (from reading other forum posts) that the multicam clips (two of them) that I used to edit the entire piece (again it was a live event) together wont translate through the XML to other editing suites.

Ive let the new, without the render information, sequence "update" for an hour and again no change.

Do you think it might be the laptop that is prohibiting it? If I moved to a bigger, more powerful station, would it correct itself? I could try tomorrow on an actual mac tower if that would be worth the effort.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:36:40 am

I thought it was the Event that was bad, not the Project?

You should also try trashing the Project render files and peaks data.

If that doesn't work, with fcpx quit, you could try moving the linked files out of the Event folder in the original media folder.

Then launch fcpx. This should knock everything offline and then you can see if the event will load.

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 16, 2013 at 1:28:41 am

Ok, so I've been working on this none stop. I moved to an actual worksation running Mountain Lion. Heres what I've tried:

-Straight open
-Hidden project
-Hidden Event
-Trash EVERYTHING in both Project and Event except for the project and event file themselves (and their backups)

With everyone of these I get either the "Updating Event" Screen during start up, immediately after in the form of the drop down window, or it waits for me to click on something and it starts updating.

I then thought I'd try hidding all the media (which again is not in the event but in a separate folder on the ROOT drive). That did not get the updating screen, but instead everything was offline. I clicked on one and so far so good. Tried to reconnect. Made it as far as the media folder and then final cut choked and I had to force quit. That says something, I'm not sure what though.

I had, at some point, exported a XML of the edit so I thought I might try and import that. I hid the Project and Event and gave it a try. I got the good old loading project barber pole, and then FCPX became unresponsive and I quit. Reopening, the project timeline was still there but now empty.

I get that the project might be corrupt. So could the event. Maybe even the footage. But with every single one of those hidden the XML still wouldn't load. Gave it a run through Digital Rebellion's XML repair and it came up completely clean.

I'm at wits end here. Anything you guys can think of?

I even opened the xml in davinci hoping I could just do the color correcting and live with the cut but it missed 7 files (which were about 70% of the film) and came in out of sync. I think that might be because the whole thing is comprised of two Large multicam clips.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the multicams. Somewhere I saw that FCPX doesn't like large ones, and these ar both hour+ ones of a live event. Could that be whats glitching Fcp And if so is there any kind of work around for that or am I stuck behind the software itself?

Thanks again for all your help. I'm not giving up here.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2013 at 1:34:00 pm

With the media offline, try and import one NEW piece of media. Does fcpx remain stable?

Now import one EXISTING piece of media. This media should then reconnect. Does fcpx remain stable?

Digital Rebellion also has a "corrupt clip Finder" which might be worth checking out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Wayland Bell
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:09:40 am

Its officially too corrupt to save. I know this because I attempted to fix it with the Digital Rebellion Project Repair. Saw a reference to it in a article that explains how Multi cam Projects can effectively sink themselves: http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2013/07/21/shocking-discovery-with-fcpx-no-compl...

Oddly, not just it, but every backup and old version of both the project and the event were corrupted. Not sure how that happened but mayby corruption spreads like the plague... Its beyond help. Alas we live and we learn. I'll have to go back and redo the whole thing as I don't think theres any chance of rebuilding it from the XML.

Hope this helps anybody who finds themselves locked out of their project. Serves me right for not keeping consistant backups.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]