FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not Enough Disk Space- Multi-cam Editing FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan McNamara
Not Enough Disk Space- Multi-cam Editing FCPX
on Oct 10, 2013 at 9:02:20 pm

So I trying to make a multicam clip of a wedding ceremony on Final Cut Pro X and I've reached a point where I can no longer add clips to the multicam. It says "Not enough disk space" even though I still have 135.74 GB still available on the external hard drive I'm working from.
The scratch disk is not on on my internal hard drive, it's on the external where all the footage is located as well as the project and event files.
I'm also working with h.264 codecs. I've made many videos this way before that were much longer with less space on the disk, so why is this happening?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Not Enough Disk Space- Multi-cam Editing FCPX
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:03:41 am

In preferences, do you have "Create optimized media for multicam clips" enabled? It will create Prores files for every clip added to a multicam clip, eating up drive space.

Assuming you do, one way to reclaim some storage space and still get good editing performance would be to delete the optimized clip versions and then generate proxy media. Then switch to proxy playback preference. Oh, and turn off optimize multicam clips.

You might even check the transcoded media folders from old projects, there's probably 100's of GB of other optimized media you no longer need.

Return to posts index

Elysa Chao
on May 16, 2014 at 5:44:03 pm

This was driving me nuts until I found the second optimize media checkbox. Sneaky. In the editing tab of preferences, there is a checkbox for "optimize media for multicam."

Return to posts index

John Link
on Oct 8, 2014 at 2:04:11 pm

Where are the optimized optimized multicam clips stored? I have Final Cut create optimized media for all my multicam clips but I don't see where they are.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Jan 4, 2016 at 3:39:59 pm

I ran into the "not enough disk space" problem when trying to create optimized media for multiple events containing a lot of clips. When I optimize small chunks of data, the same job (i.e. optimizing many clips) is done without the disk problem, although it is taking an amazing amount of time to complete. It looks like FCPX cannot handle large amounts of data unattended. A pity, because these are typically things you could do overnight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]