FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tablet

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Tablet
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:00:11 pm

Can anyone recommend the best tablet and pen to use with FCPX.

I have shoulder problems and have to get rid of the mouse.

Only need basic functions nothing to clever or it will take m another year to learn!.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Tablet
on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:34:59 pm

We use a Wacom Intous 4 Large but only due to our workstation set-up of Dual 30s/27s on Mac Pros.
If you have a single screen set-up you can go less than the Large.
Long time Wacom users here and they cant take a beating.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:39:56 pm

If you normally use a mouse, have you tried using Apple's Magic Track Pad? It doesn't respond to a stylus, but it splits the difference between the mouse and a tablet.

I've got a destroyed rotator cuff lining in my right shoulder and the trackpad has been a massive relief.

Otherwise, a number of my friends use the Wacom Bamboo line.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:41:42 pm

What about using the Apple Magic Track pad? I use it for everything as a replacement for a mouse. Should be easy on your shoulder.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:56:57 pm

Thanks yup my rotator cuff is pretty bad...hopefully I can avoid surgery.

I think the advantage of the pen might be that the ams is in a more natural position through being on its side instead of the wrist facing down.

But I have not looked at the track pads, do they allow the same more natural ergonomic position?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:05:38 pm

You still have to work palm-down, but the fact that you're only moving your fingers instead of your arm has totally alleviated the pain that I use to suffer from after hours with a normal mouse.

Plus, no carpel-tunnel / sore forearm :)

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:10:25 pm

Thanks I'll check it out. Hot sure how you click and click and hold butI guess it must be pretty intuitive. Gotta be cheaper than bloody physiotherapy.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:18:57 pm

If you go Wacom, go with the Intuos or Pro line, not the Bamboo. Bamboo is ok for travel, but the high end ones have better response. I've been using them for about 10 years. It ended a lot of pain I was having in my arm. Of course, any repetitive task will still bring other issues, but it's nowhere near as bad as with a mouse.

Now, Wacom and FCP7=Awesome. Increased my speed 10-fold. Wacom and FCPX=sometimes annoying. Reason - the location of the pointer on the screen dictates actions. So if skimming is on and you want to play a clip in the timeline, but move your hand a little - which moves the pointer to the event lib, then you are playing the wrong clip.

What's happening is that the location of your hand on the Wacom dictates where on the screen the pointer is. I will often move the pointer to where it needs to be. Then I'll rest my hand on the tablet, which causes the pointer to move up (usually to the EL). Anyway, it just means I turn skimming off a lot more with the Wacom than when using a trackpad.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:22:03 pm

Okay so double whammy as I just bought a Bamboo on ebay!! The skimming issue goes away with trackpad? I really like the skimmer but guess I could live without it.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:31:47 pm

Didn't mean to say you couldn't use skimming with it. I do all the time. I just turn it off more than with a trackpad or mouse.

I find I have more arm strain with the bamboo, so I'd switch it out if you still can.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:42:09 pm

Since you don't rest your hand on the trackpad like you can on the tablets, this isn't an issue. I suspect that if you don't rest your hand on the Wacom, this also wouldn't be an issue.

Just remember that you're skimming whatever your mouse pointer is position on in the UI.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:02:34 pm

Another vote for Wacom. I don't think I'd be able to work without one.

Has anyone tried the touch functions in the newer Wacoms?

It seems like it would be very cool.

I have a v4 now, but considering a new Pro version if the touch functions work well with FCPX.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:19:22 pm

I find it hard to use my Intuos with FCPX. I use it with Photoshop, Illustrator, Smoke, Resolve without any issues...but Motion and X just seem clunky to me. There's something about the weight of the clip containers that just feels off. Not to mention how small all the slider controls are.

I put in an enhancement request asking Apple to make the two more tablet friendly :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:24:01 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "There's something about the weight of the clip containers that just feels off."

That's because the actual attach point of whatever container you grab, is not the edge of the container itself, but where you clicked and picked it up.

So if you pick up the clip in the middle of the clip, you need to drag the middle of the clip to the cut point of where you want to move the clip.

If you pick up the left edge of the clip, then drag the left edge to the cut point.

It works nothing like any other program, but we all know how that goes.

That's kind of why I was wondering how the multitouch functions worked. it seems like it would be a good intermediary between an Apple trackpad, and Wacom's functions.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:35:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It works nothing like any other program, but we all know how that goes."

There are days when it just aggravates me no end. Today, I had a primary and 2 layers stacked above. Trying to compare the exact same frame on all 3 was so fiddly that I found myself missing tracks, and focus points. Seriously, having to disable the skimmer, turn off the clip, then turn it back on, and turn on the skimmer again and repeat, really pissed me off.

A simple page-up/page-down should be all that is required.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:39:47 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "A simple page-up/page-down should be all that is required."

Yes. Please.

I also find that with the Wacom, leaving clip skimming on, but regular skimming off and setting a marker with snapping turned on, sometimes helps to compare layers at the same frame.

How's that for some silly juju?

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:58:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I also find that with the Wacom, leaving clip skimming on, but regular skimming off and setting a marker with snapping turned on, sometimes helps to compare layers at the same frame.

How's that for some silly juju?"

Yeah it's ridiculous how the program makes some basic editorial functions so horribly convoluted.

I don't understand why I can't hold down Option when skimming to automatically activate clip skimming when needed, and then release it to put it back in Normal Skimming mode. Little things like that can make such a difference. Or for example, to change the Opacity of a clip, I have to Apple4, scroll down and then drag the slider. I can also hit CtrlV, but then I have to hit the little expand icon all the way to the right before I can access the line and drag it down or up. Both those options take about the same time. They really need to think about getting rid of some of these poor design decisions. Ideally CtrlV should bring up basic fields that can be maniupulated instantly.

All these things require work, regardless of whether you're working with a client in the room or not. I hope this new version takes some serious strides toward making creative editorial as fast as ingest and sorting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:06:27 pm

Me too!

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:16:13 am

You can hold down R or T or B when skimming to automatically activate clip skimming when needed, and then release it to put it back in Normal Skimming mode.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:18:49 am

Wow what's that command called in official FCP lingo please in terms of keyboard shortcuts commands?

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:39:06 am

Those are "Range selection", "Trim" and "Blade" tools)) They provide "the same" functionality as Clip Skimming, but can be accessed much faster.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:54:46 am

It had not occurred to me that these tools could be used for skimming clips...very good lateral thinking!

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:38:37 am

[Eugene Korkhin]
You can hold down R or T or B when skimming to automatically activate clip skimming when needed, and then release it to put it back in Normal Skimming mode.

Hope that helps.

It does! I'd totally forgotten about this.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:39:17 pm

And, it works with the Magic Track Pad, as well :).

Great tip.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]