FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyword Collection Dissapeared in the Event Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Merkes
Keyword Collection Dissapeared in the Event Library
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:43:03 pm

Hello,
I, like so many other full time editors am trying my best to embrace FCPX.
I am trying very hard and it seems that the best tactic is to simply "smile and wave" when it gets difficult to embrace.

I am hoping that someone has an answer for this problem. I just completed keywording about 5 hours of material with around 15 keyword collections. I was editing the project and FCPX froze. I had to do a hard boot on the system. When it came back up there was a triangle next to my master event in the event library - but - when I open the triangle to see all me keyword collections - nota. Yep nothing. So where did the keyword collections go? When I open each individual event triangle, I can see the keywords there - but I cannot see the group of keywords in the event library. I hope this is a simple "show keyword groups" selection that I am missing but I cannot find it. . .

When I open other master events on other drives I can see the collections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Merkes
Salty Dog Films

Its easier to ask for forgiveness. . .

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Keyword Collection Dissapeared in the Event Library
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:18:31 pm

Hi Greg,

You say: when I open each individual event triangle, I can see the keywords there.

Okay, that's normal. Each Event has its own set of keyword collections. When you disclose the triangle next to the Event name you can see the keyword collections for each Event. And apparently you can see them, so this means they are not lost. Correct?

And then you say: but I cannot see the group of keywords in the event library.

What group do you mean?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Greg Merkes
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:44:39 am

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your response.

So.

I think I broke it.

I have some issues that seems to be stemming from my USB 3.0 external hard drive. The problem started after I noticed that I left FCPX launched and then stepped away for about an hour. The USB 3.0 drive went to sleep and when I got back I had the "Hard Drive not ejected properly" error on the screen.

That said and done I quit FCPX and re-launched to find out that all my Keyword collections and the Keyword triangles on each event was missing. After the "HOLY CREATIVE COW! (clean version)" reaction that I had - I re=booted everything. The second re-boot came up with no keyword collections but triangles on the events. Long story short I re-launched and got Keyword collections but no triangles. Re-launched and got keyword collections and triangles on events. Everything was then normal. Till I shut down and went to bed. Next day it took me 5 re-launches to get it to work. And now I have re-launched about 4 times and trying to get it to work.

Like I said.

I think I broke it.

Any help would be Utterly appreciated.

Greg Merkes
Salty Dog Films

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 10, 2013 at 7:54:55 am

Ouch, I feel your pain.

I don't think you have broken anything yet, you have been able to open the Events with all their keywords before. If this happens with all the Events on that drive (meaning it's not a matter of just one Event being corrupted or so) there is definitely something wrong with that drive or with its connection to your system. So first I would check the USB cable and the drive.

If the problem persists I would advise to move all your Events to another drive as soon as you can. Try and get the Events opened correctly once more, then select every Event and use File > Move Event to transfer your Events to a decent external drive. I never use USB (not even USB3) except for backups or data transfers, because I still don't trust USB for editing (call me old-fashioned). If you can get a fast Thunderbolt drive, that's what I would use.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:44:35 pm

And for what its worth I am still on boring old Firewire 800 with Lacie Rugged and so far everything has been nice and stable.

Return to posts index

Greg Merkes
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:35:10 pm

Thanks Ronny,
I will try and backup to a firewire 800. I am also still using many firewire 800 lacie rugged portable drives and they have been work horses. I thought that I would try out the Lacie Thunderbolt / USB 3 1 TB Drive for this project - not such a great idea I guess. Back to firewire 800. I would try the thunderbolt connection but my desktop does not have it.

Thanks again and I will let you know if this works.

BTW - it seems kinda messed up that the first thing to go wrong with a project is the most important thing for an editor - organization. Smile and wave. . .

Greg Merkes
Salty Dog Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]