FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change background colour?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Sergel
Change background colour?
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:01:02 pm

I shot an interview against a white backdrop. But the background is not white enough. My client wanted an "apple-background" but since we did not lit it up it´s looks a bit grey. Is there and easy way to make it whiter?
I work in FCP X.

1. I have tried to play with the exposure and that does the trick for the background, but then the person in front also turns white...

2. I have a friend who works as a graphic motion editor who can ofcourse solve the problem, it´s just way out of our budget....

Anyt tips?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Change background colour?
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:11:56 pm

The problem with your colour correction is that you probably made a primary correction: affecting the whole image.

What you should do is make a color mask: Go to the Color Correction and look for the symbol next to the correction with the eyedropper. Click it and then go and click on your white background, selecting it.

Now, your correction will ONLY happen on that part of the image.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 9, 2013 at 7:19:34 pm

I'd try a Luma Key first and key out the lighter and place a white BG behind the subject.

In FCPX, this means adding the Luma key filter, click the invert button, and drag the right marker to the left.

Open matte tools to further define the matte.

THis works with great success sometimes, but it really depends on your background, and the luma values of the rest of the subject in the foreground.

Return to posts index

Greg Merkes
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:49:01 am

Hi Emil,
Yes, do a luma key. Use your cropping to cut the top, left and right as tight as you can. Then select a white background from you "Generators - solids" Put the white on master storyline. Connect the clip to the white. Add the key to the connected clip. TWEAK!
Hope this helps.
Greg Merkes
Salty Dog Films

Its easier to ask for forgiveness. . .

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:02:01 pm

I'm working on a current project with similar grading issues. In fact, some of the interview locations even shot (incorrectly) with a slight color wash on the BG. The ONLY application I found that gave me the right look without messing up flesh tones was DaVinci Resolve. Most shots took 5-6 nodes. Use it. It's free.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]