FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to edit multiple angles at once from multi cam clip to another or to multiple layers in a timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Angelo
Any way to edit multiple angles at once from multi cam clip to another or to multiple layers in a timeline?
on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:58:00 pm

Pretty new to FCPX so trying to figure this out:

1 - How to edit multiple angles at once from one multicam clip to another multi cam clip?

This is a snap in fcp 7 simply copy desired angles (layers) in one clip then go to the other clip and paste. I'm only able to select one layer to copy at any time within a multicam clip in fcpx so getting stumped.
Essentially trying to combine multiple multicam clips into one multicam clip.

2 - Eventually I will need to edit multiple angles at once from these multicam clips to a regular timeline with 4 layers as the show has many synced quad split windows, anyway to streamline this?

Haven't played with this yet but hoping the solutions are similar?

Many thanks in advance!!

MA

"A life without cause is a life without effect." -Dildano

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Any way to edit multiple angles at once from multi cam clip to another or to multiple layers in a timeline?
on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:20:29 pm

you could duplicate the multicam clip and stack the duplicates, then switch to the desired angle in each dupe and change the transform to resize it. Pretty much the same way you'd have to do it in 7.

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
Re: Any way to edit multiple angles at once from multi cam clip to another or to multiple layers in a timeline?
on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:35:37 pm

Hey James,

Thanks for reaching back.

Trying to figure away to "stack" the clips all onto one angle not having any success. Do you mean make a compound clip with in multicam clip in fcpx? Essentially you are saying I can have multiple layers on one angle with in multicam in fcpx? If so that would do the trick just haven't been able to get it to work. Connect to Primary Storyline is greyed out in Multicam Clip... hmmm...

Please excuse my ignorance, I've never used multicam before in fcp 7 and just started using it in fcpx. Always just selected a range of clips and layers from normal timeline in fcp 7 then simply copy and pasted.

Appreciate your patience and help.

MA

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:45:53 pm

A Multicam clip is the same as any other clip. So for example you could edit one instance into the primary storyline, then 3 more as connected clips at the same point and change the angles as desired. Then set each individual clip to the crop/scale/position you want to make multiple angles appear simultaneously. I.e.:

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:54:26 pm

Aha that makes sense...

So to make my quad windows simply edit the same multicam clip 4x to a timeline, make them synced over each other, then simply switch angles in each, then transform, got it thanks...

How about the combining of multicam clips? I've got all these wild cameras syncing some with audio, some visually and often need to add new sets of synced clips to a larger multicam clip I'm building.

I'm sure you are very busy so no rush, many thanks for the pic!!

MA

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:58:46 pm

You can always add additional angles- video/stills/audio to any multicam clip. Read the section called Final Thoughts in this article:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_multicam_basics_stone.html

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:28:02 pm

Thanks James, been adding plenty of clips manually per "Final Thoughts" in the article you shared.

In this case I need to combine multicam clips each with multiple angles which I could do easily if you could cut and paste multiple angles at once. Been working around this when combining multicam clips with only two angles using this method tho not ideal:

I simply combined two angles from the source multicam clip into one angle then copy pasted them to the other other multicam clip on a single angle then expanded manually.

Now I've got an instance with 3 or more angles that are synced using auto sync in a multicam clip and trying to move to the larger master multicam clip. I could combine into two single angles ie angle A would be from angle 1 and 3 angle B from angle 2 and 3 then copy paste angle A and B over to master multicam and manually expand. Seems like a lot of work compared to what I am used to simply selecting a range of layers and clips and copy pasting. Must be a limitation of the multicam clip world.

I will continue to chew on this one.

Love the article, thank you and thanks for the responses!

MA

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:57:41 pm

that's different- you cannot combine multiple multicam clips. You would need to place all angles into a single one. they need not all be sequential- it should sort them out for example if there are large gaps of time between each. You can also manually add new angles and manually sync them if there is no common audio reference or timecode.

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:00:11 pm

That what I figured after much head bangin...

thanks for taking the time to reach back

cheers

MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]