FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4: Frame-rate conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Adam
Compressor 4: Frame-rate conversion
on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01:36 pm

Is Apples Compressor 4 able to convert 25frames per second to 50 frames per second? I never triad a frame rate converter and hoping this might do the trick without issues.

Thank you in advanced.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Compressor 4: Frame-rate conversion
on Oct 8, 2013 at 12:33:40 am

Yes.

Is this 25p or i?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 8, 2013 at 12:34:06 am

I'd have to ask what trick you're trying to achieve? 25p to 50p you're making up frames that don't exist but it might be acceptable... 25p to 50i - yes, perfectly capable provided you use the right frame conversion settings.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:30:51 am

Thank you both for the reply. I want to convert a 25P clip from Youtube to 50fps. Reason being, is a want to overlay graphics at a smoother rate, 25i just is not the outcome I want. I know TV broadcast (PAL) use interlaced, but cant figure how they make there graphics so smooth, almost as if its progressive.

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:02:50 pm

Brandon,

You can put the 25p footage on a 25i timeline. Any graphic animations you then overlay will be rendered with subtly different values for each field - making the animation smoother (by halving the vertical resolution) without converting to 50p.

You could create a 50p timeline, add your 25p footage. It will run at a normal speed (5 seconds of 25p footage will take 5 seconds to play when placed on a 50p timeline). You can then add the titles and graphics you need for smoother animation. When exporting you can then choose to export 50p from the project or 25i.

@Alex4D

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:07:38 pm

What is your deliverable?

If it's 720p, I don't think you should go to interlaced at all.

Any footage you have would get a 2:2 pulldown added, and all graphics at 50p will be "smoother".

If it's 1080i, then going to 50p is a bit overkill.

I'd avoid 1080p50 as there's no real transmission guidelines accept for very high end systems.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brandon Adam
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:54:46 pm

1280 by 720, 50p will be my final output. Using 25i just hasn't resulted in what I wanted. My final delivery will be outputting via Softron OnTheAirExpress (play-out software). Another issue is, all be clips are different resolutions, so interlacing is going to be a big issue.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:06:41 pm

[Brandon Adam] "all be clips are different resolutions, so interlacing is going to be a big issue."

Correct.

If you put 25p footage on a *50p timeline, it will get 2:2 progressive pulldown. there's no need to go through Compressor for that.

You can then create the graphics in 50p, which will, in essence, be similar motion to interlaced video at 50 FIELDS per second. It will just be 50 frames per second.

Anything that you receive interlaced should be deinterlaced. FCPX does an OK job of it, but compressor can be used if you need more of a deep dive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:17:46 am

I figured, Id use 'Frame Blending" in After Effects. This helps by converting to a higher frame rate. Only issue is, frame blend detects the clip as one whole sequences with no cuts and transitions. So this results in "warping", "wiggle" effect on transitions. I understand this has nothing to do with FCPX, and just found out AE has this ability. So how can I go about fixing this? Someone suggested - http://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/ to assistance you in edit points. Just how will this integrate and help me with Frame blending?

Thank you for your time and thank you in advanced.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:58:22 pm

[John Mark] "I figured, Id use 'Frame Blending" in After Effects. This helps by converting to a higher frame rate."

Compressor has this too, as well as FCPX.

I don't usually recommend frame blending as it produces weird results (as you are blending together existing frames).

Are you coming from FCPX? If so, you can send your timeline via Xto7 and then in to Ae which will give you all of your edits in a timeline. You would then render out each clip, clip by clip, which is what the Ae script seems to do for you (detect edits, and then split them).

You would then reassemble those edits in FCPX.

If you are going to a higher frame rate that is divisible by your original frame rate (25 to 50 for example) it's best to let FCPX handle the 2:2 pulldown.

There is no one set recipe that is going tow ork on every single piece of footage or frame rate. If you give me a specific example of what you are trying to do, I can try and help to specify what path you might want to try and take.

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:15:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Are you coming from FCPX?"

Unfortunately no. I don't have the original clips. This makes things harder and more time consuming, if I was to deal with edit cuts separately. If only these frame rate converters dont create these "warping" effects on transitions (like Twixtor). Does this occur with Compressor 4?

Thank you Jeremy once again for your time and help.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:19:07 pm

[John Mark] "Does this occur with Compressor 4? "

It will be the same thing.

The Ae script might be an option, or DaVinci resolve has scene detection as well.

There are others.

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:43:04 am

Thank you. I hope some day they will introduce a frame rate converter that will assist you in auto detect.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]