FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing in Event Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Munick
External Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing in Event Library
on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:16:30 pm

Hi, CC.

When I open FCPX, I see my external hard drive loading into the event library, everything seems to be working fine, then it disappears. This never happened before.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: External Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing in Event Library
on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:23:47 am

Is there a DCIM folder on this drive? Or any new folder that you've added recently? I dumped a CF card from a photo shoot on one of my Media drives and it would load and then disappear. Once I removed the DCIM folder the drive went back to normal. It was like FCPX saw that folder and treated that drive as a still camera.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:01:14 am

I just had that happen helping my son import media from a Canon consumer cam into Imovie. Just wouldn't see the camera nor deal with the folder containing the clips . But we were able to import and optimize the individual clips from a finder copy but only wen the clips were selected not the folder as a whole. KInd of the opposite of what I have learned to do with say P2 footage - leave the entire folder structure from the card intact. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version of both apps.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ernie Munick
on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:08:38 am

I figured out what caused the problem:

A few days ago I did something I never do, move the entire AVCHD folder from my Canon onto my external, thinking that's faster than importing all the media via FCPX.

Well, as soon as I removed the AVCHD folder from the external hard drive, BAM, my external hard drive showed up under my Events again in FCPX.

Don't know why that was the problem, but problem FIXED.

Thank you very much for reading!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:23:10 am

It makes FCPX think that your drive is a camera!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:16:52 pm

Because you have to think differently in everything.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:03:30 pm

I've had a similar issue as well. When a "Private" folder from a Sony NX5 was placed into a client folder, along with all kinds of other files. FCPX sees the file structure of the camera originals and (I assume) thinks everything in the client folder is part of the cameras file structure.

The solution was to simply drop the private folder into a sub folder, "CAM 1a xxxxxxx". So the rule of thumb is to always backup camera cards into their very own folder, which nothing else goes into or out of.

Return to posts index

David Bean
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:56:39 pm

This solved my problem - thanks Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]