FORUMS: list search recent posts

working with proxy media and original media in the same mode - possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georg P. Mueller
working with proxy media and original media in the same mode - possible?
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:02:29 am

Hey Guys,
Excuse my ignorance if this has been brought up before. I am working in proxy mode with 5K RED footage for a corporate video. Yesterday our DP brought in a bunch of gopro clips and suggested we threw some shots into our timeline. It was quite a lot of footage and I had to convert everything to proxy first in order to even look at it.

Since my iMac is perfectly capable of working with original gopro material I was wondering how you guys are dealing with such a situation. Is there any way (i.e. copy the gopro material into the proxy folder) to cheat FCX into believing that proxys exist?

Thanks for your insights

Georg

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: working with proxy media and original media in the same mode - possible?
on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:24:39 am

Yes you can put any type of files inside the Proxy Media folder and when you launch FCPX in Proxy mode FCPX will consider these files as Proxies.

BUT be aware that these files must FIRST be in your Original Media folder, and then you manually duplicate the files over to your Proxy folder. The same clips must be in your Original Media folder AND in your Proxy Media folder. If not the clips won't show in Proxy mode.

Wether this is a good workflow or not depends on how you are importing your footage in FCPX.

- If you copy the footage into your Event when importing (creating actual video files in your Original Media folder), and then you duplicate these files over to your Proxy Media folder this will take extra time and drive space. So in this case it is better to create real Proxy media instead.

- OTOH if you import your footage without copying the media into the Event (creating only symlinks in your Original Media folder) and then you duplicate the symlinks over to your Proxy Media folder the process won't take any extra time or drive space, and your original media will work just like Proxies in FCPX Proxy mode.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15:00 pm

Hey Ronny,

Thanks! Good news. Copying is certainly faster than transforming them. Learned a new trick!

Cheers

Georg

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:12:41 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "OTOH if you import your footage without copying the media into the Event (creating only symlinks in your Original Media folder) and then you duplicate the symlinks over to your Proxy Media folder the process won't take any extra time or drive space, and your original media will work just like Proxies in FCPX Proxy mode."

Ronny,

Yes, very nice tip. I had not thought of it that way before.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]