FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting XML's for Color Correction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Moise
Exporting XML's for Color Correction
on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:15:22 pm

Greetings,

I'm about to start cutting a feature film shot on the Red Epic and was considering using FCP X. My only concern is potential problems in the finishing process, i.e. color correction and sound. Does FCP X export XML's and EDL's seamlessly now? I'm doing the color correct at Technicolor and want to make sure it's possible.

Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Exporting XML's for Color Correction
on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:35:48 pm

FCPX exports FCPXML which is a different format than FCP7's XML (XMEML).

DaVinci Resolve reads FCPXMLs.

For EDLs directly out of FCPX, you will need a third party tool called EDL-X: http://xmil.biz/EDL-X/EDL-X.shtml

If using Red material, you can export an FCPXML and load it in to Red Cine X and generate an FCP7 XMEML, or EDL.

The best thing to do is work with Technicolor and send over a sample. That way they can run it through their system and make sure everything gets through.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Oct 2, 2013 at 6:47:21 pm

hey josh. i'm in middle of post at technicolor in NY...edited in FCPX. they had a little trouble right at the beginning dealing with my XML, but was pretty quickly resolved.

my team there is using autodesk which worked well with FCPX XML -- BUT it can't handle compound clips. something to be aware of.

when you do your xml output for them, you'll have to break apart comp clips including those with synch'd audio

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:21:22 pm

Thanks. Could you also educate me on what a compound clip is? I'm presuming it's when there are separate elements attached to a shot. If so, how should those elements be delivered? Are they put together by Technicolor?

Josh

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:22:38 am

Oy Vey! Maybe cutting on FCPX isn't right for you just yet, on what seems to be a big project. I recommend you either watch tutorials on Lynda.com or buy Ripple Trainings FCPX series.

Good luck!

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:03:21 am

I see. Could you expound on this advice?

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:46:47 am

There is a tremendous learning curve when diving into FCPX. I am currently teaching a major network post facility how to move from FCP7 to X. It isn't easy. Mostly because the editors have no time to just learn the app. They have to learn on the job with deadlines. They are hugely frustrated. I think a feature is a tremendous task to take on as your first project. I say take baby steps. These small steps will pay of huge, but if you don't really know X you might find yourself overwhelmed when it's time to deliver.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:32:00 am

"I am currently teaching a major network post facility how to move from FCP7 to X. It isn't easy. Mostly because the editors have no time to just learn the app. They have to learn on the job with deadlines. They are hugely frustrated."

Hello. I'd be really interested to now more about this journey...without being specific or naming names. What they were working on, how they are getting on etc.

Here in the UK people seem lot more hesitant about adopting FCPX (as we were with 7) so it's nice to have a window into the future (You're about 2 years ahead of us I reckon!)

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 5, 2013 at 8:49:13 am

Yes, an interesting Q indeed. Here in Israel, most people in Israel work with AVID, a minority with FCP7 and only a view with X.
Seems like it's still not considered a pro App here.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:25:26 am

it might be what you are used to calling a nested clip. basically anytime you take a bunch of clips and layer them and turn into a single clip within the timeline.

usually you can just flatten these before you export the XML....easy to do in FCPX. If you've done any compositing, or multilayer fades though, you'll need to break apart and leave as layers so that they have the full clips when they bring into flame.

also, i'm not certain about this, but i think that when i was exporting XML, they had trouble when there was audio embedded in a clip --- FCPX treats in camera audio or synched dual system audio as priveledged, doesnt drop it into track but keeps in attached to main timeline. you have to "break apart" the audio before exporting....but this is pretty easy as you can select all and do it in a few steps.

my sense was that if i had gone to resolve before creating the XML that i gave to technicolor, i would have been better off. i didnt go that way and cant be certain but when i used resolve for some smaller things, it seemed like it was simplifying the XML in a way that autodesk seemed to ingest better

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:01:05 am

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Oct 3, 2013 at 2:24:30 pm

By the way, i think FCPX is really great NLE for editing a feature. I just edited my first feature on it, and had never used it before I started cutting. I learned it very fast. And I think it's actually a great filmmaker's tool. As far as what you can do in the timeline, it's at least as powerful if not more than the other NLEs, but it also very quickly sort of disappears and lets you just work. you can do almost everything with the mouse. you dont HAVE to use keyboard short cuts. skimming through timeline and event clips really lets you work intuitively.

I say go for it!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 5, 2013 at 8:54:38 am

Yes, I can only second that opinion, but as mentioned before: I think a good tutorial is essential, since a lot things are totally different in X. So different, that you won't find them just buy starting to edit on it, since as FCP 7 veteran, I did not even search for this kind of things, since I didn't know of its existence.
Ripple training is good, as well as Larry Jordan's full FCPX course.
Take yourself two full days to go through one of them - make notes of new and different features and keyboard shortcuts, and you are ready to go.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 5, 2013 at 12:58:54 pm

Therein lies the issue for Avid Editors and many others too who much prefer to use shortcuts and some prefer never to touch the mouse.

I have never understood this. They say it's faster. i don't think it is.

I do know that using a mouse so much has given me quite bad shoulder problems and I am trying to use it less.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 5, 2013 at 1:12:33 pm

To be honest, I don't really know, what you are saying with our post.
Could you explain it ?
At the end, I think, it's never the tool, but the craftsman, who makes a good job. Or differenty said:
Only a bad craftsman blames his tools.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 5, 2013 at 3:26:05 pm

"you can do almost everything with the mouse"

Just pointing out that many people do not see the above as an advantage.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:10:17 pm

But you mentioned you got a bad shoulder from the mouse, so you use more short cuts now.
So mouse is bad, right?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:12:34 am

Not coming from traditional old editing environment or Avid background I find using the mouse much more intuitive but the shoulder issue for me is a problem

I am told using a tablet eases the shoulder problems somewhat due to the arm being in a more natural position.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:45:49 am

When you say break apart audio do you mean you had t "detach" all audio as opposed to "expand"? Wow that's a bit of a pain innit?

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:31:10 pm

When you're exporting your FCPX XML, how specifically do you go back to your r3d files? In Red Cine? In FCPX?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:04:02 pm

Some applications will connect to R3D media automatically.

RedCineX will do this. Resolve has the capability to do this too.

I like RedCineX very much, so I tend to run Red jobs through it. You can also export other forms of interchange out of it, if you so need it.

If you are suing Proxy media, and you choose not to create "Optimized" (regular ProRes) media, then simply flip your preference back to "Use Original or High Quality Media" and you will then be connected to R3D.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:18:34 pm

Great. I transcoded the r3d in RedCine to ProRes422. I would've done it in FCPX, but I wasn't committed to using it yet. So, from FCPX, export the project to Red Cine, then reconnect to the r3d and export?

Is it possible to use the "Use Original Media" option if you didn't import directly into FCPX?

I'm new to FCPX and conforms in general, so many thanks.

Josh

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:23:48 pm

This will be easy, then.

RedCineX simply connects to the R3D once you import the FCPXML, you don't have to do anything to it.

So:

Edit.

Export FCPXML.

Open RCX.

Import FCPXML.

Have fun playing with the raw tools.

Export to whatever you want.

__

Try a few clips on an empty project for a tester. You'll see it's pretty easy.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joshua Moise
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:30:23 pm

Splendid. Thanks, Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Baljinder Muhar
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:18:53 pm

my music video shoot on redepic
i'm done my edit in fcp x as HD project
then export fcpxml

now i import my fcpxml in RedCine X
then only import one frame show on my timeline just one clip start or nothing more
can u help me..?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2013 at 9:01:06 pm

Hi, Baljinder.

Can you explain in a little more detail your entire workflow?

If at all possible, providing screenshots may help.

I am having trouble understanding what is happening.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Baljinder Muhar
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:34:50 pm

i'm export my fcpxml from my fcp x

then i'm import in redcine x then some files not import because my some footage from canon 5d mark iii
it's ok
bt my all red footage clips only show one frame on my redcinex timeline....

plz explain me..... how can solve it

i need grading in apple color

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:36:11 pm

Did you import the Red material in to FCPX or how did you get it in to FCPX initially?

Return to posts index

Baljinder Muhar
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:32:09 pm

firstly i copied the content from camera card. then i imported r3d files in fcpx. then edited on fcpx timeline 1920x1080 25fps. now i want this timeline color grading in apple color.

Return to posts index

Brian Weber
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:35:10 am

I'm currently re-editing a movie that made this mistake, it's a hard thing for FCP 7 users to get past. The old trick swapping files of the same name in the media folder to switch to ProRes/Proxy does not work with FCPX. While it is possible to manually relink everything I highly recommend (especially if you haven't used FCPX before) that you let FCPX handle the transcoding and organization. Any attempts you make to "out smart" FCPX will end in sadness. I know someone who had their entire feature film go offline because they had an FCP 7 editor try and do this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]