FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - Transform = slight blur.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Bowden
FCPX - Transform = slight blur.
on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:01:46 am

Hi all,

This has been driving me mad. I'm doing a screen capture demo for a client. The footage has been done. converted to pro ress 422 hq and is at 25p. First of all I've done this whole process in fcp7 to test and all is fine. For those about to ask "why not do it in 7" I have to give my client fcpx files at the end of this.

I've been working with fcp for years so I'm familiar with set ups codecs etc. In fcpx I set up my project. Its 720/25p. When I play the source video in the source monitor it's perfect. So it's coming in fine. When I stick it on the time line it's noticeably blurred slightly. Not hugely but slightly. It's considerably worse than with fcp7.

Having done a bit of trial and error I've noticed that if I turn off spatial conform it pops back to whats looks like full res. The second I transform it (a necessity for the project) even by only a % either way it looks slightly blurry again. This is reflected in the exports. Playback is set to High quality. Rendering to 422HQ.

Has anyone else run into this pleasure?

Thanks,

Lawrie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX - Transform = slight blur.
on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:42:48 pm

What size is the original capture?

If you scale video, it sometimes gets blurry. This is more noticeable on rather sharp objects, such as graphics, or in your case screen recordings.

Have you tried to sharpen it?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Bowden
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:08:15 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Original capture size is 1024x768 (4:3). I too wondered if this could be the case so did a test where I letterboxed this on to a 1280x720 Timeline in FCP 7. I then exported this as a 720p (all at 25) brought this into x and bam. Same bloody thing.

FYI I tried the sharpen following you advice but unfortunately it just looks like it's got a sharpen filer on it. It doesn't give it back its true clarity if you see what I mean but thanks for the idea.

Lawrie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:41:26 pm

I see. So you are scaling a scale.

Have you tried a 720x576 timeline?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 5, 2013 at 3:05:37 am

Slight blur nothing. If I have an image over someone's shoulder nice and sharp, then scale it back it's blur city. Happens all the time. Below is a compound clip of a screen over the talent's shoulder. In first image it's nice and sharp as it was built at that size. But then, when the compound is scaled down (not up) it goes blurry as can be. Very repeatable.

Original Size

Then scaled back for the next shot where talent is smaller

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 5, 2013 at 3:14:58 am

What's the frame size and rate of your timeline and compound?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]