FORUMS: list search recent posts

All additional audio tracks in synchronized or compound clips are merged into the mix

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Shamirov
All additional audio tracks in synchronized or compound clips are merged into the mix
on Sep 30, 2013 at 6:29:17 pm

Hi all.

I have a video with a stereo track and six separate audio tracks from set. I synced them. If I open the synchronized clip in a separate timeline, all audio tracks are on place and have their names. But if I append it to the storyline and expand audio components, there are only two audio tracks: monomix from the original video with its name and one stereo track named "a1", which is a mix of all additional audio tracks. If I make a compound clip, the same thing happens with a small difference. Channel configuration mirrors two tracks in the storyline, as you can see in the screenshots.

Screenshots:

Any thoughts?

Victor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: All additional audio tracks in synchronized or compound clips are merged into the mix
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:01:56 pm

If you want to work with your original stems, just go back to your multi-clip and copy them. Then PASTE them into your primary storyline.

You might want to set a marker at a sync point so you don't have to adjust them in time, but other than that, it's trivial to work with multiple audio track in your Primary. And consider taking the time to assign your audio the proper Roles immediately upon import. It makes things much easier downstream.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
Re: All additional audio tracks in synchronized or compound clips are merged into the mix
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:28:46 pm

If I understand you, you do not think the situation I've got is a program's bug?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:57:50 pm

your link isn't working

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:08:45 pm

Updated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:36:11 pm

Thank you!

It looks like, from what I can see here, is that there's only audio on the one channel, which looks like channel 3, and that the waveforms match the reference audio on the video clip.

Are you sure you have six separate stems?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:44:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Are you sure you have six separate stems?"

Let me rephrase, are you sure that each stem has unique channel recording on it?

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:44:09 am

The issue is not related to the content of the tracks. I've posted other screenshots, where there are no empty tracks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:31:41 pm

[Victor Shamirov] "The issue is not related to the content of the tracks. I've posted other screenshots, where there are no empty tracks."

Thank you.

On each separate audio channel what is the audio configuration for each of those when you select them in the Browser before you make the synchro'd clip? They should be mono.

Is it possible for you to make a polyphonic file (so that your separate audio is one six channel file instead of six separate channels)? I don't know the origin of your audio recording, but the free Wave Agent can do this from Sound Devices.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 1, 2013 at 6:20:28 am

Wouldn't this have to do somewhere with the fact that the Compound Clip has a Stereo setting instead of a surround setting maybe (when you create it) ?

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Oct 1, 2013 at 6:32:03 am

How can I change the number of tracks of synchronized clip before creating it? It is created without any additional requests. And in the settings there is nothing about it.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 2, 2013 at 11:58:08 am

I don't think you can choose it with Synchronized clips, but I'm not sure if you can do it with Compound Clips. The moment you make one, can't you click Custom Settings anywhere, BEFORE you click OK ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:55:27 pm

He's not creating compound clips, he's creating synchronized clips as evidenced by the "storyline" and "connected" sections of the audio. Usually, these are reflections of the channel count in both of those sections, but something isn't working here.

My guess is the discreet mono audio, but I would need to see more of what Victor's media assets look like.

I use synchro clips with polyphonic audio and have no problems.

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:08:53 pm

My assets are usual mono 48 kHz WAV-files from Aaton recorder.

Out of curiosity I had a number of attempts with different kinds of sound. I gave up the job, so now there is no rush. At the moment, this is what I see:

The sound of the clip, which lies on the storyline in synchronized clip, will takes a slot "storyline" in audio channel configuration under its own name. Stereo or mono - depending on the format of the original sound. (By the way: I could not understand how FCX picks that clip. It is not always video or the longest clip or the first clip in a list.)

All other clips regardless of their number will be merged into a single track named a1. If there was at least one stereo track, a1 will be stereo, otherwise it will be mono. In both cases, a1 is a mixdown.

It makes FCX useless in real work with multichannel sound, if I have to synchronize video and sound inside FCX. And that was my exactly my case.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2013 at 4:25:47 pm

[Victor Shamirov] "It makes FCX useless in real work with multichannel sound, if I have to synchronize video and sound inside FCX. And that was my exactly my case."

Yes, it seems rather buggy.

I have no issues with polyphonic files, though. Does the Aaton allow polyphonic recording? It might help you in the future. All in all it's pretty much the same thing, just one file instead of 8 separate ones.

Also, I wonder what would happen if you opened the synchronized clip and put the video in the storyline instead of the audio. I'll have to do some testing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]