FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't drag audio file to FCPX timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben DuBois
Can't drag audio file to FCPX timeline
on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:34:47 pm

I have what I think is a compound audio file (it's a .aif) that I have imported into FCP X, however when I click on it in the event library I do not get the yellow outline, cannot drag it into the timeline, and it seems to lock up everything (accept I can scroll by dragging my mouse). The audio file in the event browser loks like a green clip with another smaller green clip connected below it. I never had one of these before so am at a loss. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Can't drag audio file to FCPX timeline
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:46:31 pm

What happens if youright-click the clip and do a reveal in finder?

What happens if you right-click it and open in the timeline?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Ben DuBois
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:56:09 pm

The file gets imported into the event library. I can right click and reveal it in finder. When I right click the file in the event library and select "open in timeline" nothing happens. I have since learned that it is an AIFF-C (C for compressed) file type, as oppossed to AIFF (without the C). Do you know if the compressed version is supported in FCPX? I have been researching and haven't anything specific to AIFF-C. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:14:29 pm

Hmmm, I don't know. Looks like AIFF-C is the standard when converting from itunes:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format
Apple uses this new little-endian AIFF type as its standard on Mac OS X. When a file is imported to or exported from iTunes in "AIFF" format, it is actually AIFF-C/sowt that is being used. When audio from an audio CD is imported by dragging to the Mac OS X Desktop, the resulting file is also an AIFF-C/sowt. In all cases, Apple refers to the files simply as "AIFF", and uses the ".aiff" extension.

I can't remember if I've ever used itunes to convert audio, I usually use quicktime. I'd suggest exporting it from quicktime and see if that aiff give you better luck.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Ben DuBois
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:30:59 pm

Yeah, I'm learning way to much about AIFF files today. I tried your suggestion to export from Quiktime and I was able to export the audio as a .m4a file. I haven't listed to it yet, but even if the quality isn't great, at least it gives me something to work with in the interim. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:21:19 pm

Have you tried to reimport it?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]