FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Select Multiple Favorites from a Single Clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Bentsen
How to Select Multiple Favorites from a Single Clip?
on Sep 20, 2013 at 7:14:44 pm

I am having the most annoying problem. Either one of two things happens when I try to select clips: FCPX places just the first favorited segment into the timeline from each clip, otherwise it places a bunch of copies of the entire clip into the timeline.

Here's what my problem is:

I shot a wedding and am editing it. I went through all the footage and set in and out pointsd and then favorited all the selections. In some of the longer clips, i'd select multiple favorites, of only the best footage.

After selecting all the favorites, I choose "Favorites" from the little menu on the upper left hand corner.

Now, all my favorited clips come up in the browser window.

Now here's where it gets weird, as either one of two things happens.

IF I am in Filmstrip view in the browser:
When I choose "Edit - Select All" it only selects the first favorite from each clip. Then when I bring the footage down using the W key, I am missing m ore than half of the footage I have favorited, since I'm only getting the first favorited section from each DSC_XXXX clip.

IF I am in List view in the browser:
When I choose "Edit - Select All" it selects all of the clips in the browser, but when I bring them down into the timeline, instead of getting all of the shortened sections of clips I had favorited, it just places a ton of copies of each full-length DSC_XXXX clip.

No matter what I do, unless I select each clip individually with the command button, I can't seem to bring what I need into the timeline.

I've never had this problem before. I'm running FCPX 10.0.9 on a Mac Mini 2.6GHX i7, Mac OS 10.8.5.

Please help! I don't want to individually have to drag down 793 clips.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to Select Multiple Favorites from a Single Clip?
on Sep 21, 2013 at 2:30:10 am

I am not in front of a machine to confirm the behavior, but you could, while you have all of your favorites selected, see if you can add a keyword to all of the favorites. Then go to that keyword in the browser and add those clips to the Project. If that doesn't work, then it's time to start troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 21, 2013 at 6:13:59 pm

Doesn't seem normal. Maybe you need to trash FCP X preferences.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Martin Bentsen
on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:22:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried trashing the preferences to no avail. And yes, I even tried the suggestion of using the Keywords but I had the same trouble.

A potential solution that worked somewhat was instead of using the little "Favorites" button at the top left, I selected the little magnifying glass on the upper right hand side of the browser and chose "favorites" from there. I was able to select the clips and get most of them into the timeline, but still had trouble with some.

I am right to believe this isn't normal? I even tried removing FCP and reinstalling it but still have the same issue. Maybe they will fix it with an update?

Has anyone else had this trouble too?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 22, 2013 at 11:00:12 pm

Not normal.

perhaps a corrupted project file? Create a new project and see if you get the same behavior. If that works try copying all of the timeline to the new project.

The only other thought that occurred to me is you are trying to edit too many clips at once. FCP X seems for example to have trouble with too many compound clips so maybe it's chocking on the amount of media you are moving.
Now I am far from an expert on X and maybe there is some weird setting you choose or something.

Have you tried dragging them down to the timeline?

By the way I know you said that with list view it copies multiple copies of the full clip, but you actually played these and that was the case? The names might seem like copies.

Have your tried Append to Storyline rather than insert?

Have you tried Applecare pro app department or doing a google search for this behavior?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Martin Bentsen
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:34:41 pm

Thanks for the reply!! Not just this project, it's been happening in the past too.

Too many clips could definitely be a problem. I will check out a smaller number of clips in a smaller Event. But remember when I only select a few of the clips in this event, I still have the issue.

I have tried dragging them down, but the issue is even being able to select the clips doesn't work. I literally click and drag to make a selection box around 5-10 clips and they all deselect except for the first favorite in each group.

I did try playing them and can see in the timeline they are all the exact same length and footage.I wouldn't post on this forum without double checking.

Tried lots of googling but I don't have Applecare Pro to get help from them...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:02:50 pm

A screen recording would help us to visualize the problem.

I don't have any issues with this, but that doesn't mean anything.

Have you trashed your Event and Project render files and peaks data recently?

Return to posts index

Martin Bentsen
on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:46:07 pm

Thanks for the response, sorry for my delay, been super busy. I actually just lost all of my favorites in this and a few other events recently! I have no idea why, but I'm thinking the two might be related.

I think I need a better backup solution in case I make a mistake or something happens. Right now, the backup option of FCPX is kind of weak.

I think my whole computer might be having some issues. I'm going to be buying the new mac pro when it comes out in fall.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]