FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing HDV footage in fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mahesh dood
editing HDV footage in fcpx
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:32:16 pm

hi
i have a lot of footage in HDV 1920x1080i/50, earlier for optimised perfomance in editing with final cut 7 i had convert them to apple prores.

do i have to do the same when editing with fcp X?

or can i directly edit HDV files on the timeline?

what are the advantages and disadvantages in both cases

thanks
mahesh

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: editing HDV footage in fcpx
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:32:08 pm

Either/or- should play fine.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:59:59 pm

You don't have to convert them, I believe FCPX can read most HDV natively. However, it's my practice to convert all HDV to ProRes via the Optimized Media button when importing because HDV is captured in Long GOP format which is not ideal for editing.

The good thing about FCPX is that the transcode to ProRes can be done in the background while you edit so you don't lose any time on injest as you would in FCP7.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:39:09 pm

Actually FCPX considers HDV already and "optimized" format, so you can't optimize further. However, you can always create proxy versions of it. If you are on a older computer proxy is a good way to go.

I actually have done quite a few HDV Projects with FCPX. It went incredibly well. I created camera archives from tape, which I think is a fantastic workflow. Just load your tape, FCPX will take care of rewinding, and bringing in the clips. Then when you access the camera archive it is just like it was card storage.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]