FORUMS: list search recent posts

plugin for document section, call-out, highlight, accentuation etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
plugin for document section, call-out, highlight, accentuation etc
on Sep 18, 2013 at 6:09:52 pm

The effect that I am looking for is one that is used in news stories that are trying to highlight a certain section of a document, bring that specific section to the forefront while leaving the rest of the document slightly blurred in the background.

I could obviously do this manually with a number of built in tools and keyframes but I was wondering, since it is such a common effect, if there is a plugin out there that can speed up the process.

Below is how the final should look (or close). It would be ideal if I could then keyframe the various parts to slowly zoom in/zoom out.

Thanks all

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: plugin for document section, call-out, highlight, accentuation etc
on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:24:32 pm

Checkout Ripple Callouts. I haven't used it, but it might do what you need. They have a free trial.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:55:07 pm

You might want to try out my free TKY Marker Pen (title) effect available here:

http://www.fcp.co/forum/9-free-fcpx-plugins-and-templates/15592-free-fcp-x-...

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:58:51 pm

Thanks guys, I will certainly try out your the effects. I think they are going to be helpful with future effects but the one that I am looking to do is based more on the source media (image) rather than using animated effects to "point" to a certain section.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:16:17 pm

Sorry, I didn't read what you'd asked for properly.

Here's an effect that should do everything you want:

6531_tkysectionhighlighter.zip

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:26:57 am

This is a motion project, is this supposed to be a FCPX plugin? Looking at the project I can see that it would do what I am looking for though. If this allows me to put a document in the dropzone and then choose the section to highlight that would seems great.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:34:13 am

[adam chesbrough] "This is a motion project, is this supposed to be a FCPX plugin? Looking at the project I can see that it would do what I am looking for though. If this allows me to put a document in the dropzone and then choose the section to highlight that would seems great."

As indicated by the .moef file extension this is an Effect that can be used in FCP X - sorry, I should have given you the usual installation instructions, as follows:

Copy the entire downloaded folder into your User/Movies/Motion Templates/Effects folder and it will then show up in FCP X in your Effects Browser.

Simply apply the effect to your clip and adjust the controls to your liking, animating any parameters you want to animate.

Hope that helps.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:16:14 pm

I used to use a little program from OmniGroup that did this kind of stuff called OmniDazzle back in the day, but I'm not sure it's still being supported by them. It was called OmniDazzle.

But I think today, using X, I'd just create a two layer mini-project using the Matte functions in X with the bottom zoomed a bit and blurred and the top with an unblurred window overlay and save the result as a Compound Clip in X. Essentially a down and dirty adjustment layer as Oliver suggests.

You should be able to slap it on anything and go in and resize and reposition the "clear window" to taste.

Just store the Compound Clip in a persistent "My Effects" event and it would be available for all your projects.

This presumes you don't want to do something in Motion, which would be nearly as easy and would let you access the effect via your Effects Browser.

Many ways to get there. And great practice at using some of X's less "obvious" capabilities.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]