FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX export timeline to XDCAM disc via firewire

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Groenier
FCPX export timeline to XDCAM disc via firewire
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:46:49 pm

Could someone please tell me what I need to do this? Content Browser seems utterly useless. And I can't tell from Sony's ultra vague descriptions of their apps what other plugs or software I might need to install. I used to use the Main Concept plug in for Clip Browser on my old system but I thought Content Browser was supposed to supplant all that.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: FCPX export timeline to XDCAM disc via firewire
on Sep 18, 2013 at 12:25:32 am

Hey Dave

Yes, Content Browser is what you need ... or rather Content Browser Exporter, which forms part of that app/download.

The video process is pretty straightforward. Choose Share > Master File... (Cmd E) and set "Open with" to Content Browser Exporter. The audio requires a bit more set up as XDCAM disc exports require audio to be discrete mono. You can use Roles for this, so set "Roles as" to Roles as Multichannel Quicktime ... and then configure your role mapping as needed.

Bear in mind that FCP X can only export audio as 24 bit ... which means that if you are targeting an XDCAM disc based target format that does not allow 24 bit audio (i.e. DVCAM and XDCAM HD) then as soon as the file is passed to Content Browser Exporter the export will fail ... but if your export format supports 24 bit audio (IMX and XDCAM HD422) then you'll be fine.

You can check out a related thread here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18029

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:59:17 pm

Thanks so much, Andy.
Still not having any luck though. I get an error saying that the file name is more than 31 characters (which it isn't). Even if I assign a one character file name, it fails because "file could not be written" (no other explanation given). Can not find any settings for file naming conventions in either FCPX or Content Browser Exp. Besides I think the XDCAM deck does its own naming. Do I need some kind of FAM driver maybe? I thought I had it already but maybe needs an update with X.

Plus it still seems like it wants to create Quicktime instead of mxf. Also, what's with no stereo? Do I need to split my audio track in two and pan them L/R and then do the export to two mono track?

Sorry to be such a whiner I really appreciate the feedback. :)

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:48:21 pm

Het Dave

Yes, you will definitely need to install the FAM driver from Sony's site, otherwise your disc will not be seen by OS X and so will not mount as a an available target drive for the export.

Your export from FCP X is a Quicktime Movie as FCP X cannot export MXF directly ... but your export setting should also be configure to "Open with" Content Browser Exporter ... and that application will immediately rewrap the MOV to MXF (as long as thats what you tell it to do) and initiate the copy to the mounted XDCAM disc (or save to desktop or again, whatever you tell it to do).

As to whats with the stereo vs mono thing? Well that's the specification required by Sony so you just need to go with it. Break apart your channels where necessary and as described in my other thread, set up your roles to provide the multichannel mono export and you're good to go.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:00:08 pm

Thanks again, Andy. Please bear with me. I can see and navigate to my disc so FAM driver is probably OK. Forget audio for now too.

Where do I tell Content Browser Exporter to do the mov to mxf conversion. There are no options for Content Browser in FCPX. When I open it as a stand alone app, all I see for settings is a checkbox to quit when finished. When I open a .mov media file in the stand alone app, it looks like it is set up to convert to mxf files to the XDCAM disc, but it grays out the 'Clip' folder on the disc where the clips should go. If I select the Disc itself as a destination it tells me the disc is write protected which it isn't.

Content Browser has some settings for converting EX clips to mxf on import but nothing about destination file presets. But since Content Browser doesn't appear to see any media files at all I don't know what this software actually does. When I look at your screen shots in your previous post I'm seeing lots of options that don't appear in my interface on FCPX. I'm running 10.0.9 which is apparently up to date according to my software check.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:35:35 pm

>Where do I tell Content Browser Exporter to do the mov to mxf conversion?

When your file has exported from FCP X, and when you have told FCP X in the Master File dialog to "Open with" Content Browser Exporter, then it will cause Content Browser Exporter to open that file ... when Content Browser Exporter opens a file then you will get a window asking you to specify the export location (you choose the root level of the Disc, not the Clips folder within) and it also offers a choice of MXF or MP4 (you need to choose MXF) ... you can also optionally choose a target filename for the export,.

>There are no options for Content Browser in FCPX.

Correct. They are completely different apps.

>When I open it as a stand alone app, all I see for settings is a checkbox to quit when finished.

Correct. There are no export specific options until you open a file for export.

>When I open a .mov media file in the stand alone app, it looks like it is set up to convert to mxf files to the XDCAM disc, but it grays out the 'Clip' folder on the disc where the clips should go.

Correct. You have to point it at the disc itself (the root level) not the Clips folder.

>If I select the Disc itself as a destination it tells me the disc is write protected which it isn't.

If your chosen file is NOT a correctly formatted QT movie ready for rewrap i.e. not correct video format (HD422 50Mbps or MPEG IMX) and/or not correct audio format (24 bit multichannel mono) ... then you will get an error message of one description or another. I believe the write protect error will be what you see if the video codec of the source file is not supported for rewrap to the target i.e. if its not an XDCAM native codec.

XDCAM comes in many flavours ... I think in order to avoid running round in circles you need to tell us explicitly what your source format is, what your export settings are, and to specifically what XDCAM device you are writing. It may be that you have a settings problem ... or it may be that you can't do what you are trying to do at all (not all XDCAM flavours are supported for FCP X native export).

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

Charles Diego-Roll
on Feb 6, 2014 at 2:09:52 pm

Hi Andy,

I have a related question regarding the MXF Export. I can export the file from FCP X, 8 mono tracks, and wrap it as an MXF in Content Browser Exporter.

What I have not been able to figure out is how to arrange my audio so that when I hear it through the player channels 1&2 are stereo left and right. It always comes out looking like mono. I have tried using roles to send them there, but it always ends up looking like 2 mono tracks on the audio meters. Ever come across this?

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]