FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Events Interaction Bug: Carbon Copy Cloner causes events on 2nd Internal HD in Macbook Pro to become invisible to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
massimo verona
Lost Events Interaction Bug: Carbon Copy Cloner causes events on 2nd Internal HD in Macbook Pro to become invisible to FCPX
on Sep 15, 2013 at 9:12:58 am

Spent a few exciting hours figuring this out and reproduced it at least once, so it may just be me but....

1) I have early 2011 MBP 2.3 i7-- 16 GB --Boot Drive 250Gb SSD-- Replaced Optical Drive with 1TB WD -- OS X 10.8.5
Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) 3.5.2
External FW 800 WD Backup drive with NO Final Cut Events or Projects folders in root. (CCC target folder is lower in tree)

1) FCPX 10.0.9 is on boot drive
2) Events and projects are on other internal drive, the 1TB WD-- lets call it "internal2"

3) I started having problems with FCPX not seeing the events which are in the root of internal2

4) I Got Info on internal2, saw "Ignore Ownership" was not checked, and checked it.

5) This FIXED the visibility of events on Internal2, for a while

6) When the scheduled CCC backup of Internal2->external drive started ( it was going to take a while 1/2 hour TV pilot) I quit FCPX to go eat cheese or the like.

7) When I re-opened FCPX, the event was again invisible on Internal2.

8) I did all the above steps 4 through 7 to reproduce the error.

9) My studied, cheese-fueled conclusion is that CCC does something to the source drive when it backs up, because when I Get Info about Internal2 ( Source Drive) after CCC runs, the "Ignore Ownership" checkbox is UNCHECKED, as if by insubordinate behavior by CCC.

I rest my case. Don't know if it's an anomaly of my system.

I looked at other threads and someone warned about having folders named "CONTENTS" on a drive, but there's hundreds of them in many apps on my drive, I can't get rid of them all and they don't seem to be causing the problem , only when CCC runs.

Failing as fast as I can at writing producing.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Lost Events Interaction Bug: Carbon Copy Cloner causes events on 2nd Internal HD in Macbook Pro to become invisible to FCPX
on Sep 15, 2013 at 1:41:55 pm

Is your external drive connected when you open X? If you have duplicate event and project names in different HDs, X cannot show them both since it gets confused.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Lost Events Interaction Bug: Carbon Copy Cloner causes events on 2nd Internal HD in Macbook Pro to become invisible to FCPX
on Sep 15, 2013 at 2:42:41 pm

Check settings on CCC to see if you can find something related. I am not near my system now but I have used CCC for some time with no issues. I have my own custom backup settings. If you're using default settings you might see this issue. Consult the settings/docs or contact Bombich Software. Make sure you backup is going into a folder and not to the root of your backup drive because FCP can get confused by redundant event/projects.

anickt

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:51 am

"gets confused" calls for a better explanation.

Duplicating an Event in the Finder means you'll also be duplicating the internal ID of the Event and X will see the two Events as the same one. Not good. Metadata depends on which Event is clearly identified.

This is why you MUST duplicate within X. When you duplicate within X a new internal ID is generated and X will know how to manage those two events. Yes, you can duplicate in the Finder if you know that, once duplicated, the two Events with identical internal ID's can't both be seen by X at the same time.

To be safe, always duplicate within FCP X.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]