FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Hall
The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1)
on Sep 14, 2013 at 3:41:12 pm

I am really struggling to export a project because of the share/export fail issue.

I have seen in other posts that this error also occurs with markers (but I'm not using any) Speed changes in clips and Compound Clips.

But the odd thing is that the error message given "The operation could not be completed because an error occurred when creating frame 79915 (error -1)." relates to random frames that are just straight video with no effects.

The curious thing is the fail really is random... it may well pass the above frame mentioned in the next attempt of sharing proving to me that actually frame 79915 is okay.

My project is a full length feature shot in 4K, but I have also rendered out a 1080P timeline for broadcast TV - but both timelines refuse to share with this error to a master file... but both will share to apple devices. Both fail on different frames each time when sharing to a prores hq master file.

So far I have followed all the advice I could find on the forum including deleting preferences, re ingesting the possible rogue clips, deleting render files and re rendering - all to no avail so any other ideas would be gratefully received as I am running out of time because the share process takes hours just to discover a fail at 78 percent!

Today only your imagination is the limitation.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1)
on Sep 14, 2013 at 5:54:13 pm

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. FCPX refused to export and stopped all the times at the same frame, contained in a plain video clip with no effects or whatever. I could export low res demos, even a HD range containing the frame, but not the whole project in HD. I traced the frame and eventually bladed it off and everything went fine. But the fail was not randomly distributed along the timeline, and referred to the very same frame all of the times.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

John Smith
Re: The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1)
on Nov 29, 2013 at 7:34:24 pm
Last Edited By John Smith on Nov 29, 2013 at 7:46:28 pm

This is just more screwed up programming by Apple, I am becoming so sick of their inability to programme a decent application that I feel like being done with them.

This was an occasional issue under OS X Lion, mostly I could do what I liked whilst it was sharing/creating the master files. But it basically comes down to if you use any other application or process whilst FCPX is mastering then it will likely fail. This includes sleep, which is suppose to be so much more efficient since Mavericks, but in reality it's the same steaming pile of stupidity it was under Mountain Lion. Almost no application responds or makes use of the new setup procedure for making the computer sleep at the correct times, it worked almost perfectly under Lion OSX so why the hell change it to something that causes more energy consumption as everyone has to have the computer running excessively due to the rigid nature of using Caffeine. FCPX whilst mastering will still sleep, and this will screw up your master. And unlike applications like After Effects, when it screws up after 3 hours, it doesn't retain anything of what it did, so you can't even start again from where it failed.

Make sure no other applications are running, and make sure you have caffeine running and make sure it's set to indefinite if your share/master is going to be a very long one. My last master must have taken over the 5 hours as it failed due to my caffeine preferences having been reset to a default of 5 hours for some reason. This barely ever happened under Lion OS X, it only become a consistent issue under Mountain Lion and is now a case where I can't export anything without this issue in Mavericks, in fact I can't even have multiple share/masters queued up with the option to have them load in Quicktime after completion as this causes the next Master in the queue to fail. So make sure the "after mastering pull down option" is set to "do nothing", otherwise it will screw-up the next item in the queue.

We need a new company like what Apple used to be, as all the software they produce is deficient, some nice elements of functionality that makes you want to use the software, but so much poor functionality they never sort out it makes using their systems a constant dirge of annoyances, aggravations and slow working. I haven't used Windows based systems properly for a long time, I know they have improved a lot, feel like returning to them. Though I guess they'll not be that much improved... I am making a point to never learn another piece of Apple software, as it always turns out to be way more hassle than it's worth, they rarely get them working properly, and any OS X update often just screws the whole process up again. It's a mindless round of perpetual aggravations. It's a case of: is the improved computer performance of updating the operating system worth the stress and hassle of dealing with all the lose of functionality that you will get in other respects.

I officially hate Apple software and shall look else where whenever possible from now on...

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:32:22 am
Last Edited By John Smith on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:34:24 am

hmmmmmm.... seems a lot of these issues are solved by making sure App Nap is disabled (if your using Mavericks), there's a check-box in the file information window for the FCPX application ("cmd I" when application icon is selected (in finder)) that by default is checked. Since unchecking the box I seem to be able to edit and stuff without causing the frame error... well so far anyway, usually when you change something the problem briefly goes a way just to wind you up some more. Though it does appear to have solved it.

Hopefully that will also solve the export queue issue...

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:34:24 pm

Are you on FCP 10.0.9? That corrected the problem for me but I was doing an HD project not 4K.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Richard Hall
on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:39:59 pm

Hi Dave
Yep on 10.0.9 but as mentioned the error happens in the rendered 1080P timeline as well - very frustrating!

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:49:51 pm

Are you using variable speed at the frame that is having the error? I had to change from variable speed to constant speed and also sometimes change the constant speed by a small percentage. Deleted all the render files and exported the sequence unrendered. Sounds like you may have tried all this.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 14, 2013 at 9:19:40 pm

I'd run trusty ol' Disk Warrior. If your directory is anyway corrupted FCP loses its way. Just today, after working fine for a long time, my FCPX started crashing (I know that's not your issue). After DW all was well. Over the years DW has fixed many mysterious issues. It's worth a try.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Richard Hall
on Sep 14, 2013 at 10:35:20 pm

Hi John
Only have an old version of DW but might invest and try that.. but thanks - you have given me an idea re disk permissions that i'll try and run first with disk utilities - will let you know how I go..

Return to posts index

Richard Hall
Re: The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1) FIXED!
on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:35:31 pm

Thanks for all your help! Looking through your responses it became apparent it could be a drive issue.

As mentioned each time the project failed to export in a different place on the timeline and so it appeared to be random. But by taking a snapshot of the error report on every fail I eventually worked out using the frame counter that all of the frames were associated with two lengthy items of media in particular that was spread across the timeline - sooo not really random at all!

So I copied the media across to another raid drive, deleted the original and relinked - hey presto - job done!

I have done speed and performance tests on both sets of raid drives report to be working well, so its still a bit of mystery - but if you are having problems changing your media to another drive if you can is defo worth a go as is checking permissions etc.

Hope this helps someone in the future...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: The Share Operation Master File has Failed - when creating a frame (error -1) FIXED!
on Sep 15, 2013 at 10:58:23 pm

Just idle curiosity but I'm wondering if you tried deleting your render files when you had the error? My first thought was that you had a corrupt render file and the fix you describe would certainly have forced FCPX to regenerate the render files for everywhere that clip occurred...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Richard Hall
on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:02:41 pm

Hi Jeff

Yep, after looking at the forum that was one of the first thing I tried. I don't think it was a dodgy render file because I had the same errors on both my 1080 and 4K timelines...

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:38:58 am

Haven't had this problem in the latest release of FCP X but the way I used to cure that problem was to go to Preferences and change the timecode display to Frames. Back in the timeline go to the suspect frame and identify the suspect clip.

I then selected the clip, Shift-F to match itself in the Even Browser, then just dragged back down to replace itself in the timeline. Worked every time for me.

I suspect that I'm just forcing a new render file for the duration of that clip and that simply deleting all render files would do the same thing but I chose this way so I wouldn't have to wait for the whole project to re-render. But, you could do either.

Don Smith - NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Lisa Johnson
on May 1, 2015 at 2:53:46 am

I have had this error message many times, and found a fairly easy solution. Write down what frame the message says the error occurred at. Go to the pull down menu under Final Cut Pro and select Preferences. Click on the General tab. Change the time display to frames. Go to that frame in your project and edit it out. I have then been able to share (export) the project. Hope this works for you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]