Hi I'm editing footage shot on a Sony Z7E, In FCPX- (latest update).
The footage looks good, but when I inset a text box between some of the video and apply a transition like fade to black, I get the horrible effect you can see in the picture below....
You can only see this when you play the raw export in quicktime. When you play it in FCPX it looks fine...Any ideas?
What is your delivery spec? If you're going out to the web, then just deinterlacing your footage before adding in the text and the fades should be fine. But if you're going out to tape or to a digital master that needs to be interlaced then you don't want/need to do that.
Are you using a broadcast monitor to view your cut? Or are you viewing it on your computer screen?
If you're going to Youtube/Vimeo then there are 2 ways you can approach this.
- Finish up your edit. Export out a clean Digital Master, without any text or graphic overlays. You can choose to De-interlace on export.
- Bring this Master into your Event, create a new Project, set the Video Settings to Based on First Clip, and drag the Master into the Project.
- Then add your Graphics and Text.
- Once this is done, you can choose to Export out directly to Youtube/Vimeo from within FCPX if your client gives you access to their info, or you can send them any other format they request and they can upload it to their account(s)
- Just take what you have now, and De-interlace on export. This will however degrade everything, so it's something that I would personally avoid.
De-Interlacing on Import will take a long time, and it's generally better to keep your camera originals the way they were shot.
So my suggestion would be Option 1, in addition to a clean master that is also not de-interlaced in case your client decides he/she wants a Broadcast version at some later date.
You have to have a Compressor Preset defined which does this. You can't select to De-Interlace in any of the other Destination Options, to the best of my knowledge anyway. I may be wrong about this, so don't hold me to it.
But set up an Export Preset in Compressor, and add that using your Share Menu inside FCPX.