FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing editing buttons in Video editing window

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Smith
Missing editing buttons in Video editing window
on Sep 12, 2013 at 5:13:12 pm

This is really starting to do my head in, all I want to do is flip a video clip horizontally, and though I have managed to do this previously and can't remember how I did it, the main problem is the simplest way of doing this is not possible because there are editing buttons missing on my video editor.

This is what I have (don't have):

This is what I should have:

I have seen other people complain about this on tutorials on Youtube, but I cannot find anything relating when searching..

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

2.4ghz 12 core Mac Pro 2012, 32GB DDR3 DIMM Registered ECC, Mavericks OS X 10.9 DP4 (yes risky running a BETA system, but Mountain Lion is awful, and the performance of Mavericks is a lot better than Lion (and M'Lion))

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Missing editing buttons in Video editing window
on Sep 12, 2013 at 5:48:19 pm

In the new version of FCP X, I believe that you simply grab the blue handles and drag them horizontally past the mid-point.

They're really trying to remove unnecessary controls from the screen.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Sep 12, 2013 at 7:17:38 pm

I had a feeling someone was gonna say something like that, I had tried doing that previously but couldn't get it to work, think I probably had wrong edit type selected. Seems until your certain something should workout the way your trying it, you often have trouble making these things happen.... I do generally find Apples desire to remove buttons and to surreptitiously hide functions from plain sight is more of a pain in the ass than helpful. Too many times it becomes incredibly irritating when you can't remember where something has now been hidden. Fine if you only ever use a small handful of applications, but if you use all manner of audio, video, and animation packages, and sometimes do not use one of them for a month or so it becomes a tireless round of searching... I think greater visibility should be concentrated on rather than less buttons. They seem to have taken to making the Applications more bulky in sense of taking more of the screen space up with larger sliders and buttons, but lessening the clutter. I'd rather more buttons and smaller objects/sliders etc. The working area seems to keep diminishing. I find with Final Cut Pro X I have a lot of trouble getting a good view of an entire project when any complexity develops. Now seems to be the same with Logic Pro X, the mixers and surrounding nobs and sliders are all much larger and the work space decreased... Logic 9's interface really didn't need altering very much, if at all.... anyway ramble ramble!

Thanks for that, problem solved...

2.4ghz 12 core Mac Pro 2012, 32GB DDR3 DIMM Registered ECC, Mavericks OS X 10.9 DP4 (yes risky running a BETA system, but Mountain Lion is awful, and the performance of Mavericks is a lot better than Lion (and M'Lion))

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Sep 12, 2013 at 7:32:30 pm

I might add also, if anyone is interested or not I know not! ;p

But why can't Apple have both functions, the drag option is great, but why not have the buttons as well? It's not like they free up space for anything, there's just empty space where there was once buttons. Same as with the Save As feature being removed, there was no reason why they couldn't have a system where Save As was present as well as the newer functions, as despite the cries and arrogant assertion from Apple that they have removed the need for Save As, it's clearly not the case, there is a call for both functions. The new save function is great (particularity in FCPX), but really "Save As" still has a simplicity of use and functionality that is lost in some circumstances. And curiously enough they have yet to integrate the same save functions into Logic Pro, I am glad "Save As" exists still there as it's much more apart of my work flow, but the FCPX system of saving would have been a very good addition (but not a replacement).

2.4ghz 12 core Mac Pro 2012, 32GB DDR3 DIMM Registered ECC, Mavericks OS X 10.9 DP7 (yes risky running a BETA system, but Mountain Lion is awful, and the performance of Mavericks is a lot better than Lion (and M'Lion))

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:19:33 pm

[John Smith] "Mavericks OS X 10.9 DP7 (yes risky running a BETA system, but Mountain Lion is awful, and the performance of Mavericks is a lot better than Lion (and M'Lion))"

John,

If you have minute, could you expand on this? I haven't read any reviews yet of anyone running 10.9 Betas. I have 10.8.4 on a partition, but for numerous reasons, I'm still getting my work done in 10.6.8. Although, I will have to break down and move to Mountain Lion or Mavericks within the next couple of months. I have not found any substantial advantages for what I do in Lion or Mountain Lion.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:29:20 pm

I also run Mavericks on a number of test systems (including my Retina MBP) and I will say that Mavericks is to current OS X what 10.4 was to old OS X. The performance and stability are already head and shoulders above 10.8 and the new features are actually features that you can use and recognize. I also love that a full screen app doesn't eat up all 3 monitors, but just the one it's on.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:39:59 pm

[Tim Jones] "Mavericks is to current OS X what 10.4 was to old OS X"

Tim,

That's good to hear. Although I've got ML going for some tasks and apps, I may go ahead and wait another month or two for Mavericks and then make the big move with a clean install. I'm slowly but surely replacing the old legacy software.

I use the Apple Address Book all day long because I use it less as an address book and more as an easily searchable database for everything is my life. I had planned to buy a 3rd party app to give me the function and look of the 10.6.8, but hopefully the Mavericks version is a bit more usable for my purposes.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:32:20 pm

The buttons are still there, they are just in a drop down menu.

You can also right click on the Browser and choose "Distort" or hit command-shift-d. Shift-C for crop. Shift-T to transform.

Much faster than a button.

There's also a "Flipped" filter.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Sep 13, 2013 at 9:16:19 am

"Save as" has simply been renamed "duplicate project". ; )

Performance of FCPX on Mavericks discussion is nearly non-existent on the Apple Dev Forums (though its been a while since I looked). Sure would like it if we could get a bunch of COWs over there testing and discussing! Even if Mavericks will be out relatively soon, at least just to get the ball rolling for future releases.

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:34:40 am

I have exactly the same issue. Did anyone ever help you? I got the "Apple decided to remove unimportant buttons" from that one user, and the "They're in a dropdown menu" from another (BTW, I can find no drop down with the "flip horizontal" function that used to be there for all to see, gosh darn it). Please let me know if anyone said anything even approaching usefulness.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:17:22 am

Yes... my problem was solved.. there is a comment above somewhere that does state the reason.. assuming you are having this problem for the same reasoning that is. Apple removed some of the buttons and changed the way you select those options in later releases, so if your looking at help videos that were created on older versions of FCPX then buttons will show up that are no longer present.

You'll notice there is a little arrow on the single left-hand button on the less buttoned newer fcpx version, if you click on that you can select options that give you the same functionality. Play around with that for awhile and I am sure you'll work it all out.

Hopefully you'll find that solves the problem for you also... it's definitely a strange development as it makes the process longer and slightly less simple, but there we have it, Apple has become more about hiding buttons and trying to appear less complex, whilst in reality becoming much less user friendly and requiring the user to develop higher levels of proficiency with the software in order to perform the simplest of tasks.. complexity for the sake of appearing sleeker and simpler. so many contradictions :s

2.4ghz 12 core Mac Pro 2012, 32GB DDR3 DIMM Registered ECC, Mavericks OS X 10.9

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:31:38 pm

Hi John,

I agree with your conclusion that the UI has achieved the dubious distinction of being both sleeker and less usable. More than somewhat. I wish Apple would listen to you.

Unfortunately for me, your advice . . .

"You'll notice there is a little arrow on the single left-hand button on the less buttoned newer fcpx version, if you click on that you can select options that give you the same functionality. Play around with that for awhile and I am sure you'll work it all out"

. . . is a masterpiece of post-modern "instruction." I have no idea which "little arrow" or "button" you're referring to. By my count, there are 12 buttons with "little arrows" on the interface, and "playing around with" them for awhile reveals NO function for mirroring, flopping, or flipping horizontally a given video clip. Nor does the so-called Help document recognize the term "flopping," which was the category term I finally used to find this function a couple of years ago.

Request to Community: If anybody has time to be specific, could they please describe where this button is with respect to other landmarks? (e.g., it's under the Browser, under the Canvas, under the Timeline, it's right next to a button with a Magic Wand, it's four buttons to the left of a button with a key icon, etc.)

Not that anybody cares, but on a personal note, the abandonment of FCP7 was a blow. The continual changes to the FCPX UI in the context of a Help document that cannot even recognize search terms identical with UI widgets and the LACK OF A COMPREHENSIVE AND CONTINUALLY UPDATED SET OF INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS PROVIDED BY APPLE has already taken years off my life. It's been great for Larry Jordan. For the rest of us, not so much.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2014 at 4:37:52 pm

Shift-t

Shift-c

Option-d

It's very easy, and fast.

It's in the viewer where they used to be. It's one button instead of three.

Or hit command-option-k and bring up the keyboard shortcuts and type "transform", "crop", or "Distort"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2014 at 4:48:46 pm

All of these controls are also available in the inspector (command-4).

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Jun 26, 2014 at 10:06:20 pm

Finally! Thank you Jeremy. The answer to the question is not "look at this button or that button." The answer is that "flopping" is a type of Transform, hence can be accomplished using the Transform button.

FYI, for the benefit of any Apple folks who keep track of UX, the Help section on the Transform effect does not, repeat not, mention that you can use it to flop the footage, flip it horizontally, or any other indication of being able to create a mirror image using FCPX. Way to go!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:42:53 am

As mentioned in earlier posts, there's also a flipped filter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]