FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut X deleting more than it should

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff York
Final Cut X deleting more than it should
on Sep 10, 2013 at 6:37:48 am

I have a problem when using FCPX that Ill have an audio or video track selected and when I try to delete it other video/files in general nearby it will be deleted also without ever being selected. I kind of like FCPX now after the updates (10.6 and later) but this is making life suck

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Final Cut X deleting more than it should
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:41:22 pm

Do you mind explaining this a little more clearly please?

What exactly are you doing, step by step? Screengrabs help, too.

Are you using compound clips?

Return to posts index

Jeff York
on Sep 10, 2013 at 5:04:28 pm

I mean it pretty much does it whenever there is more than 10 minutes of video or more than one camera especially and its been doing it for months. Its not the linking or the snapping buttons either and I have reset all user preferences and things like that. So ill the most current example in plural eyes (it does the same regardless if i use the program or not) i would bring in 3 cameras and a tascam file. Triming some of the tascam file would delete the entire thing. Deleting something would cause the timeline video files next to, above, below, whatever was selected to be deleted as well. I even updated it too. This even happens when there is only one camera in the time line. If I added another music file and wanted to trim the video file down it would delete the entire audio file underneath it even though it was not selected. I hope this helps and I have not seen much else on what this could be caused by. When Im finished with what Im working on I will more than likely try to reinstall it. I have also checked for updates as well and had them installed.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 10, 2013 at 5:45:19 pm

It sounds like your connected clips are being removed when the clip they are attached to is removed.

FCPX works very differently form other NLEs in this regard.

I recommend Ripple Training to get some basic FCPX instruction. I could try and type it all out here, but it would take a while.

http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/final-cut...

Very basically, clips that are above and below the primary storyline (which is the big darker grey bar in the middle of the timeline) are connected to a clip in the primary storyline. When you delete a clip in the primary storyline, the connected clip is deleted too. You can change the connection point to another clip so that the connected clip does not get deleted, or you can replace the primary clip with a gap (basically an empty clip) with the shift-delete command.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]