FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Viewer different than Resolve & Vimeo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Harris
FCPX Viewer different than Resolve & Vimeo
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:03:42 am

The image in FCPx is totally different then other applications and online with vimeo. My 24" LED cinema display has been calibrated with Spyder Pro. Any ideas why its inaccurate?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX Viewer different than Resolve & Vimeo
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:03:59 am

What do the scopes in your X interface say?

There's no way to do critical judgements on displays, calibrated or not, that come anywhere close to looking at your signal properties via test equipment.

Monitors lie. Even so called "calibrated" monitors react to elements like room lighting and environmental issues such as reflected colors, etc. etc.

Scopes don't lie.

(Well, good ones don't anyway.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:20:14 am

I understand, but if a monitor lies, wouldn't it lie the same amount in each program? The top pic is from resolve, and the bottom is from fcpx. There is no way the scopes will read the same.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20:10 am

Color calibration is an art unto itself- learn video scopes well and rely on those. Having a proper broadcast monitor is also key. And just FYI- the Spyder is for print work, not video.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:08:32 pm

No computer monitor is accurate for video and all applications compensate in different ways. The only way to judge accuracy is a high-quality, calibrated video monitor and external scopes connected to a hardware I/O, like a BMD Decklink.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Randy Larcombe
on Aug 12, 2015 at 9:32:28 am

Hey Matt, Did you ever sort out this issue? I am having the same problem. Cheers Randy

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 12, 2015 at 6:33:01 pm

Hey Randy, I did sort it out, kind of. It's just the way it is. Resolve shows a little more contrast than FCPX. When upload to vimeo it plays somewhere in between on Safari (mac) but in firefox its closer to the way Resolve looks. This isn't a screen calibration problem but a decoding variation between different plays. They just read the files differently, so you kind of have to ballpark it.

By the way, the human eye adjusts to each pretty quickly, so I don't thinks its a huge deal.

Return to posts index

Randy Larcombe
on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:06:47 am

Thanks Matt, I wondered as much. It always looks so much better in Resolve. I'd love to work out how to get it all to look the same across the applications. I'll keep investigating. Thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:41:25 pm

Does it look the same in QuickTime Player X? That's supposed to match FCP X.

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:36:49 pm

Yes. FCPX and Quicktime look different than everything else, so I cant grade accurately even for my own computer screen.

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:19:04 pm

I had a similar problem on my setup. It was caused by calibration profile from X-rite device. The problem lied in version of profile, which was default at version 4 but fcpx liked version 2.

It may or may not help you, maybe you dont have such controls in your software for spyder. What you can verify is your profile though. Choose one of the stock ones for your monitor and than check the appropriate applications. If this color shift vanishes, it was the color profile. If not, there must be something else going on.

Return to posts index

Breanna Molloy
on Oct 6, 2014 at 5:12:50 am

I've been having the same issue. The image looks great in FCP and in Quicktime, but it looks dark and contrasty when its played on a Flash player like Mpeg Streamclip or Vimeo.

I don't know why the players are so different, but it would be nice if I could calibrate my viewer in FCP for Flash, since Vimeo is my video's final destination. Let me know if you've had any luck with this. :)

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:20:07 pm

Hey Breanna, I've learned that Apple just does this when watching with Quicktime or in FCPX. I can play the same file with FLC and it looks different. I think it best no to grade in FCPX because of this. When something is uploaded into vimeo it generally will look closer to Davinci Resolve than FCPX. I can even watch the same vimeo file in Firefox and then in Safari and they will look different. I'f anything is compressed then it has to be decoded in some way, and I think that process probably varies a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]