FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom in Event viewer and widescreen matte

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Zoom in Event viewer and widescreen matte
on Sep 8, 2013 at 5:58:06 am

Hi,

I am on my first project, trying out FCPX. Despite my beginning anger on Apple for X, I must admit,
till now it works dazzling fast.
I have just some things I stumble over, newbie stuff, which the FCPX Pros here, I am sure, have answers to:

1. If I am examining a long clip in the event viewer, and I it's a very long, the In and out point is so close together, that I cannot grab the clip. Can I zoom into the film strip in the event viewe?

2. I have imported Widescreen Anamorphic Pal footage, which in FCP 7, I could tell the program to interpret it differently and it would show it letterboxed. Can I change these things also in X - like Aspect Ratio, Field Dominance and so on?

3. I want to letterbox footage, but I do not seem to find the hand FCP legacy Matte Video filter, where you could choose different Aspect Ratios for standard Mattes.

4. When I keyframe things, can I chose the interpolation - e.g. Bezier, linear and so on? Seems you only have that choice with fade in & outs in Audio?

Thanx.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Zoom in Event viewer and widescreen matte
on Sep 8, 2013 at 6:50:50 am

[Sascha Engel] "1. If I am examining a long clip in the event viewer, and I it's a very long, the In and out point is so close together, that I cannot grab the clip. Can I zoom into the film strip in the event viewe?"

Yes, but not in list view. Switch to Filmstrip view and you can zoom in to the sample level. I've mapped the buttons to a couple f-keys to pop in and out of different views.

[Sascha Engel] "2. I have imported Widescreen Anamorphic Pal footage, which in FCP 7, I could tell the program to interpret it differently and it would show it letterboxed. Can I change these things also in X - like Aspect Ratio, Field Dominance and so on?"

Yes as well. In the inspector you change some properties in the Spatial Conform panel of the "video" settings. For interlacing/field settings look under the "Info" tab...choose the settings view to show them all.

[Sascha Engel] " I want to letterbox footage, but I do not seem to find the hand FCP legacy Matte Video filter, where you could choose different Aspect Ratios for standard Mattes."

Search for "letterbox" in the effects browser, it's there. Although...maybe I downloaded it somewhere. I know there's a nice free filter from Alex4d which google will find for you.

edit: Go here... http://blog.alex4d.com/fcpx/ grab the adjustment layer and whtver else you need. At least the adjustment layer though, as you can drop the letterbox filter on that and you can then reframe the shot's in the matte. There are a bunch of free filters out there that will let you do this by effecting the clip, but effecting the adjustment layer is the way to go IMHO...

[Sascha Engel] "4. When I keyframe things, can I chose the interpolation - e.g. Bezier, linear and so on? Seems you only have that choice with fade in & outs in Audio?"

I don't do a lot of video key framing, but I don't think that function is uh... finished. I think there is a away to do it in a rudimentary way, but hopefully someone else will chime in. And Hopefully Apple will improve it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Zoom in Event viewer and widescreen matte
on Sep 8, 2013 at 1:14:39 pm

You can change spatial interpolation in the viewer. Temporal interpolation can only be adjusted for opacity, for whatever reason, they need to fix that.

Now, the problem with the spatial interpolation in X is that if you animate position and size you will get a small s-curve before it hits the next frame. In Motion you get curves for each parameter by default that you can change back to linear, if needed. Can't do that in X.

Personally I like working with Xs default curving for the style I'm currently editing, for perfect straight animations its best to use the Ken Burns Effects, or use Motion or AFX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]