FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full Screen on second monitor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Full Screen on second monitor?
on Sep 3, 2013 at 10:04:26 pm

I know it's possible to get viewer playback on a second monitor by using the "Show Viewers on Second Display" function, but is there a way to have the video actually play full screen? I don't like the grey border, and the visible play buttons and text that it displays. It's messy and distracting. I want to be able to look at my 1080P television that I'm using for my playback display and see ONLY my footage without any extra garbage on the screen.

Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Full Screen on second monitor?
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:06:05 am

FCP X is a full screen application. Whenever you make something full screen - the UI or a viewer - it occurs only on the monitor that is a the main display with the Mac OSX menu bar. So no, you can't have the UI up and still have a viewer full screen on the second display.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:31:21 am

Hmm. Seems like a step backwards. My clients have to watch the footage with a bunch of cluttery, ugly UI elements all around it, rather than the clean looking output I got before.

Hope that is soon to be fixed.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:55:22 am

[Dustin Bowser] "Hope that is soon to be fixed."

That's why the application offers output through an external monitor card or I/O device. What you see in the viewer isn't accurate color anyway for any broadcast, web, disc or theatrical deliverable.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:06:55 am

Sure, but now we're talking about the addition of expensive hardware that I didn't need with software that is 7 or 8 years older.

I don't need mathematically accurate color to look at for film distribution. That will happen when the footage is at the grading stage where all of that is set up. This is just editing, and I just need to see a "cinematic output" of what I'm working on without a bunch of ugly and distracting icons, text and UI elements just cluttering up what I'm looking at.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:59:56 am

[Dustin Bowser] "This is just editing, and I just need to see a "cinematic output" of what I'm working on without a bunch of ugly and distracting icons, text and UI elements just cluttering up what I'm looking at."

Yes, we understand that you would like X to work better as "editing suite" software. But that's not how it was initially designed.

It has had a unified "one window" interface from day one. Many of us think that interface was designed to take advantage of smaller, if higher resolution screens, in addition to larger multi-montior machines.

One thing X does REALLY well is allow one to edit on a modern laptop. No second screen, no external anything. This allows guys like me to work in hotel rooms, airplanes, coffee shops and a whole host of other "non-office" places and STILL have an extremely effective and full featured editing system. Precisely because we don't really need anything "extra" to effectively edit.

You want to show a client full screen playback? There's a button for that in the bottom right of the main window. Click - done. Beautiful!

But sorry, if you don't want to pay the few hundred bucks extra for the I/O gear necessary to drive a display monitor, that's kinda your problem.

In this particular use battle, the mobile folks win. And the desktop folks have to spend a bit to get more flexibility.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:08:56 am

I'm sure with all of the fancy coding that exists in this software to auto-stabilize and color and denoise and playback in realtime and whatever other fancy innovations, that a simple "fit to screen" button is within the realm of Apple's coding expertise.

Arguing that it's simply a new design scheme for laptops that requires that I buy a card just to play back the output that I'm already getting, just with clutter, is frankly ridiculous.

And a simple Google search will reveal to you that Apple's implementation of their 'Full Screen' concept in Mountain Lion with Dual Monitors is not exactly being met with anything but confusion and frustration.

Do I want to show a client full screen playback? Yes. Do I want to actually be able to use the software during that same time? Yes. Seems pretty simple.

I actually am loving FCPX, so this isn't a "why isn't FCPX like this software" debate. Conversations like "it's kinda your problem" are frankly ignorant and not helping the dialogue or development.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:29:31 pm

[Dustin Bowser] "Do I want to show a client full screen playback? Yes. Do I want to actually be able to use the software during that same time? Yes. Seems pretty simple."

But Dustin, by your own admission, you can absolutely do that.

And it's pretty simple.

However, you have to spend a few bucks to do it. If you don't want to spend the bucks, then you can't do it.

How, again, is this different from the normal operations of the universe at large?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:59:53 am

"This is just editing, and I just need to see a "cinematic output" of what I'm working on without a bunch of ugly and distracting icons, text and UI elements just cluttering up what I'm looking at."

If you are in dual display mode with the viewer on the secondary display, why is having transport controls on the bottom and the viewer frame across the top so intrusive? That's all that's there. I understand what you want (in fact MC does this as did FCP7), but I'm not sure I understand the frustration.

Note that the exact configuration of this changes, depending on whether your Mac menu bar is on the left or the right screen. Mine is on the right, so the viewer ends up as the only element on the left. Or the Event Browser, depending on my settings.

One of the reasons this may be hard to code is that the application no longer performs this function to my knowledge. I believe this is one of those elements that have been offloaded to the OS.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:51:34 pm

I don't understand, why not do what most smart professionals do and get a legal playback card?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:10:18 pm

EXACTLY. It's $145 from Blackmagic. Or less if you want to buy a Decklink for older mac pro. Yes, X should do what 7 did. That would be great. But it almost does as Oliver pointed out. But get an output device already if you're a professional. It's just not very professional no to. I would assume clients get the "what are we paying you for" kinda feeling when one cuts corners.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:37:54 am

It's about the work, it's not about the tools. Sometimes the tools are just unfortunately designed.

The client's don't get the "what are we paying for" feeling, because they are paying for the work that I do, not for the PCI cards that are sitting in my tower.

Apple is designed for the artist, so when there are little places here and there that are not supportive of an elegant and creative design within the application, like having to look at a bunch of visual clutter when it would feel better not to. And not require an end user an additional piece of hardware to do so. That mentality is exactly the opposite of everything that Steve Job's was doing with Apple.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 5, 2013 at 12:12:13 pm

"That mentality is exactly the opposite of everything that Steve Job's was doing with Apple"

The design of FCP X was pretty much blessed by Jobs personally before he passed on.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:34:19 pm

Just to be clear that we are all talking about the same thing, see the attached picture. This is the maximum display area you can have within the app's UI. This is from dual 27" monitors with the viewer on the secondary screen (left). Are the icons around the perimeter really that annoying?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:31:41 pm

Hi Oliver,

Is the time code info you have in the viewer all from the Timecode generator or is there another way to display the timecode and clip info?

Cheers,
Glenn

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:37:11 pm

[Glenn Grant] "Is the time code info you have in the viewer all from the Timecode generator or is there another way to display the timecode and clip info?"

Sadly no. I'm editing that project with proxy clips generated from RED camera files. These were exported from Redcine X Pro. It can superimpose the clip name and TC as burn-ins in the rendered file.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Sep 13, 2013 at 1:48:04 am

[Oliver Peters] "Sadly no. I'm editing that project with proxy clips generated from RED camera files. These were exported from Redcine X Pro. It can superimpose the clip name and TC as burn-ins in the rendered file."

Boy I was all excited when I saw that. Oh well, maybe with 10.1

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]