FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding a Connected Clip BENEATH another connected clip.....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Boice
Adding a Connected Clip BENEATH another connected clip.....
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:38:23 pm

OK, so I'm actually digging a lot of the new features in FCPX. However, there's still situations that I'm at a loss for how to deal with.

In particular, let's say I add a connected clip to the primary story line, but later realize I want another clip beneath that clip (without overwriting the primary story line) for whatever reason.... maybe I want to dissolve to that clip or whatever.... what's the best way to do that??

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Adding a Connected Clip BENEATH another connected clip.....
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:55:03 pm

There's no current way to do this in one step. You have to add the new clip (q), then hold shift and drag down.

Please submit feedback to Apple to give us keyboard commands to shift things around in space vertically.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:36:20 pm

Unless you count click + drag as two steps, it's only one step for me.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:58:55 pm

You can add as many layers as you want in the secondary, they will each connect the primary. All you have to do is put one clip over the other, like in any track based NLE. Whatever transition you add to one clip will affect the clip beneath it.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:03:45 pm

In FCPX you can drag the new clip straight from the Browser under the existing connected clip in the Timeline. The existing connected clip will automatically move upwards.

In another NLE you first have to move the existing clip on track 2 one track higher to make room for the new clip, then add the new clip to the empty track under the existing clip.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:06:41 pm

Don't forget to move the audio around too. Oh, and patch your tracks and make sure they're active. Ad mark an in AND an out after you undo the first round because the source clip was so long that you overwrote some stuff in the timeline.

I'll take my non- destructive one step drag and drop.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:57:29 am

[Bret Williams] "Don't forget to move the audio around too. Oh, and patch your tracks and make sure they're active."

You are right, I already totally forgot about all this. I really need to get using another NLE more often (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:11:55 pm

I suppose it was conversations like this that got X, er I guess iMovie, started.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]