FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.0.9 - is there a way to get it to use all the CPU cores?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Weber
FCP X 10.0.9 - is there a way to get it to use all the CPU cores?
on Sep 1, 2013 at 6:49:20 am

I have a MacBook (2012 model) with a 2.7GHz Intel Core I7 (4 Cores w/ dual processors). When doing rendering or import operations with FCP X 10.0.9, it seems to be using only one or two of the 8 processors.

In contrast, when I use Handbrake, it can load up all 8 processors.

I was wondering if there is a way to get FCP X to more fully use the multiple processors. I would think that rendering or importing multiple clips would be an obvious are where one can do many operations in parallel.

Any insights would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Weber

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X 10.0.9 - is there a way to get it to use all the CPU cores?
on Sep 1, 2013 at 1:53:15 pm

No.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 1, 2013 at 1:57:23 pm

[Mark Weber] "I have a MacBook (2012 model) with a 2.7GHz Intel Core I7 (4 Cores w/ dual processors). "

PS: Where do you find that this has dual processors, i.e. 8 cores? To my knowledge there is no such Apple laptop, but I could be wrong. It may be hyper-threading, so 8 virtual cores show up in some test/activity utilities.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Weber
on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:01:50 pm

Apple describes the Macbook as follows in the tech specs: "2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz)". It is the model "MacBookPro9,1".

In the Activity Monitor, the CPU history has 8 hyperthreads and the CPU utilization seems to be basing 100% utilization on using all 8 hyperthreads.

Mark

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:42:08 pm

[Mark Weber] "In the Activity Monitor, the CPU history has 8 hyperthreads and the CPU utilization seems to be basing 100% utilization on using all 8 hyperthreads. "

Correct. Your machine is a quad-core, single CPU. In other words, 4 physical cores in one processor. Hyper-threading lets the processor run 2 processes interleaved through a single core. That gives you 8 virtual cores. Still not as fast as 8 actual cores, when the software is optimized for multiple cores.

In any case, almost no Apple software, except maybe Compressor, takes advantage of a large amount of cores. That's why, in many tests, a fast quad-core machine will outperform a slower 8-core machine. The Intel Core i5 and i7 CPUs are single-socketed quad-core processors.

But to answer your original question, there's nothing you can do to help the CPU usage with FCP X. It likes a lot of RAM and fast drives, like SSDs.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Weber
on Sep 1, 2013 at 6:40:54 pm

Thanks - I have maxed the machine at 16GB RAM. So I guess we have to wait for Apple to enhance their software.

Mark

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 2, 2013 at 12:39:12 am

If Apple is optimizing FCPX for the MacPro, hopefully this will include better optimization for multiple CPU cores across the board.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:35:05 am

FCPX is well known to be doing tasks like rendering and exporting via GPU, not CPU so your experience is entirely in line with the software's design. More GPU power would translate to higher performance... i.e. YMMV.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:45:39 am

I thought the whole point of the OSX update (particularly including the new Grand Central Dispatch system) was that under OSX, tasks can be directed to the proper assets to get the best performance.

That should mean that anything having to do with graphics including video rendering should go directly to the GPU system and bypass needing the CPU to be involved for the heavy lifting.

That plus the multiple GPU system indicated to be coming in the new R2DX MacPros - and I suspect we'll see some pretty sweet improvements running X with the new hardware.

And in the long run, as RAW workflows migrate into the video world, that kind of raw graphics horsepower is exactly what we'll be needing.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]