FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turn of Skimming in FCPX TIMELINE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lithman
Turn of Skimming in FCPX TIMELINE
on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:35:50 pm

Hi, the skimming feature in the FCPX timeline is driving me nuts. I've turned skimming off in the View menu, but it persists... I should add, specifically when using the blade tool!

Am I being really stupid here?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Turn of Skimming in FCPX TIMELINE
on Aug 29, 2013 at 1:07:12 pm

To turn off skimming press s. I do it occasionally for keyframing and other intricate stuff. Turning it off also turns it off in the event. Which is kinda moronic and needs to be changed. You can't do much of anything in the event with skimming off.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2013 at 1:08:13 pm

There's two types of skimming, regular skimming with the 's' key toggle, and clip skimming which is toggled with option command s.

Turn them both off.

Skimming can be great once you get the hang of it, but it does take some getting used to.

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Aug 29, 2013 at 1:10:32 pm

Thanks both for your replies, but neither suggestion turn of skimming in the timeline when working with the blade tool.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00:34 pm

This can be done with skimming on or off. Hover over your clip. Hit c to select it. Drag the playhead to near the point in your clip that you want to blade. Move the mouse pointer off any clips. Select the blade tool. Use the keyboard to find the frame, then cmd-b to blade it. It's fast once you do it a few times.

But I actually like Jeremy's method from an earlier post - change the keyboard command for blade to B. Then select and skim over the clip you want to cut. When you find the frame, just hit B. This is the opposite of what you want to do, but it's very fast.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:33:22 pm

[Michael Garber] "But I actually like Jeremy's method from an earlier post - change the keyboard command for blade to B. Then select and skim over the clip you want to cut. When you find the frame, just hit B. This is the opposite of what you want to do, but it's very fast."

You beat me to it! :-D

As Michael mentions, I don't use the blade tool as I find it redundant, I just have a couple of keyboard commands mapped to blading (add edit/cut/whatever the kids are calling it these days). You cna remap whatever you want int he keyboard editor, (command-option-k).

B for blade, shift-b for blade all. You can use these without skimming, you just have to drag the playhead.

With skimming on, and clip skmming on, I find it faster.

A tip about skimming, you can start to skim on a clip or timeline and get close, and then use the arrow keys to dial in a more precise frame if you need it. This can be done in one very fluid motion, even if it takes a bit of practice to get familiar with it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Aug 29, 2013 at 5:04:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You beat me to it! :-D"

Ha! Please forward all your answers to me first from now on. :P

Good tip on using the keyboard in addition to skimming. Would be difficult for me since I use a wacom. I find the wacom in X can be more difficult sometimes because of skimming and mouse pointer focus issues (hit cmd 1 while hovering over the timeline causes the timeline to playback when you hit play).

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:47:41 pm

I have a wacom, too.

You can map the wheel to the jog to get the same action, but I find the keyboard to work better, you just have to move the pen a little bit out of the way.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:31:20 pm

FWIW, I have multi-button mouse. The scroll wheel mapped to arrow L-R and the thumb button mapped to Blade. Works that way in 7 and Pr as well. Super easy, find it hard to work without it...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]