FORUMS: list search recent posts

Everything on an external drive so I can move between machines?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Everything on an external drive so I can move between machines?
on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:05:05 pm

I'm just starting with FCPX (having decided it is time to move on from Premiere Pro...) and to set my mind at rest I was wondering:

IF I have my original footage on a particular external hard drive
AND the "Final Cut Events" directory is on there with my 'Event'
THEN would I be able to move my whole work pretty easily from one machine to another? Save, Close, Eject the drive then plug it into the other machine?

The problem with PPro was that all the render files were buried in my main drive and moving to another machine meant all that rendering had to happen again. I'm thinking that all this lengthy "Transcoding and Analysis" might be good news for me. Yes?

PP 5.5 and 6, iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Everything on an external drive so I can move between machines?
on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:14:04 pm

Yes, it's always best to keep Events and Projects on an external drive.
Is it not possible to change to render location in PP? I almost never use it...

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:24:19 pm

I think I managed to move them from /library/application support/adobe/common to the external drive once but the playback etc became horrendous so I quickly moved things back.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm in luck with FCPX! Many thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:25:40 pm

You can have one or even multiple external drives in play.

As long as a Mac has FCP-X running - it will "look" at any attached drive and if it sees the proper Event/Project folders, it will load them up and present them to you in the interface. And as you've learned, if you keep your content available on the same drive - either in location folders, or better yet, as virtual drives via disk images or sparse bundles - then you have everything necessary to work on the external.

Different clients? It's your choice to keep them as separate projects - or you can just keep clients totally separated by keeping their work on different external drives.

Also remember that when X sees a project on an external drive, it creates database links to the event and project structure - so it's important to remember to formally close X down before you dismount the drives. That way X can do it's housekeeping. If you forget or a cable gets pulled you won't lose work, but the program will keep searching for stuff that's no longer 'on-line" in it's system, so a disconnected drive usually means you have to shut down and re-boot X after you re-connect the external drive to get the database links all back on line.

Have fun.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Aug 27, 2013 at 9:12:42 pm

This sounds just great. Many thanks for all that. I should have switched a year ago!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 28, 2013 at 1:20:19 pm

I suggest EventManagerX for moving Events/Projects quickly.
Great tool for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54:58 pm

Thanks for that tip Eric. It looks like being very useful!

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:23:40 am

Just to concur with others portability of projects is pretty fantastic in FCPX. I would recommend that you let Final Cut copy files to the event folder. It does create extra copies of media, but frankly that is a great thing, as the more backup copies the better. In fact right now I'm working on a large film project with another assistant editor and and we are currently syncing multiple audio recorders with the 1200+ shots. We have the event on an external drive and jumping between an iMac, a MacPro and a MacBook Pro without a single hiccup.

At my office we use sparse disk images, and any editor can open a project on an Mac in our place without trouble.

Speaking of render files, as you work with FCPX you might find that you don't create them anymore. I rarely every do.

One thing to be aware of is that custom Motion Templates, i.e. custom transitions and effects that you might create or purchase have to be manually copied from machine to machine. It is not a big deal because FCPX will safely ignore them if you open on a machine that doesn't have them, but it is a good idea to use DropBox or other cloud storage to keep a copy of our most recent Motion Templates. We use an app called "Folder Watcher" on the Mac App Store to sync between a "master" motion template folder on our server and also make a copy of it on our company Drop Box account.

By the way since you are new I would recommend spending a few dollars on training. rippletraining.com and larryjordan.biz are both very through and excellent. They will cover most all of these topics.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:32:56 am

So much great advice - many thanks! Actually I am paying for some training and have recently completed the Izzy Video courses for FCPX. Masses to take in and I anticipate going through them again soon. But those recommendations of yours are most interesting - thanks again.

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]