FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Audio in Project Timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory McGuinness
Syncing Audio in Project Timeline?
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:02:04 pm

Hello all,

I have several times run into a situation where I would like to replace an audio clip in a project timeline with a "corrected" version of the same clip. (I'm working with a sound designer who prefers to do his work outside FCPX.) Is it possible to waveform synchronize the "corrected" clip with the original inside the project timeline?

This seems like a functionality which X could easily support, given how straightforward it is to synchronize for Multicam. I've been working in X for a few months now, so I have a strong basic knowledge but I'm still learning; I wouldn't be surprised to find I've just overlooked a command.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

-Rory

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Syncing Audio in Project Timeline?
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:12:56 pm

Synchronizing cannot be done with clips that are on the timeline. Would be nice, though.

If you have sent the original clip that you have imported in your Event to your sound guy and he has sent you back the sweetened file without changing its start and end points you can select the original file in your Event Browser and relink it to the new file. The audio clip on your timeline will also relink to the new file.

If that's not the case best thing you can do is to put the new clip under the existing one, make your waveforms extra large and synchronize the clips by view watching the waveforms.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Rory McGuinness
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:24:53 pm

Ronny,

I really appreciate your help.

I've been playing around with relinking the clip, but so far the software isn't having it. Do you happen to know if there's a list available, somewhere, of meta-data changes which prevent you from relinking? I believe the duration of both versions is the same, and they're from the same source.

I'll have to give some additional thought to my workflow, since it's a bummer to keep eyeball-synchronizing whenever my collaborators want to update/change something.

Thanks again,

-Rory

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:34:01 pm

Rory,

If you are running 10.0.8 or 9 you should not have any issues with relinking, even if the file names are different. Do you get an error message when you try to relink? If so, what does the message say?

Just one more thought: what program does your audio guy use?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Rory McGuinness
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:46:10 pm

Hi Ronny,

I'm running 10.0.9.

When I tried to relink this morning, I did get an error message. It was something to the effect of "media not long enough to cover clip in project." Just now, when I tried to recreate the error message, I successfully linked the clips. Not sure why it didn't work before.

He's using Logic.

Thanks!

-Rory

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:09:03 pm

Good to hear it's working now. If he's working with Logic X you will be able to exchange projects and clips more easily in the future, as soon as they get the FCPXML round-tripping sorted out.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Clermond Ferrand
here we go!
on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:59:47 pm

if it's the same clip, just modified or improved but has identical length
it's very easy and one of my main reasons to do my editing with fcp x :

right click on the clip you want to replace in the timeline and choose:
"open in timeline" (do in the time project timeline not in the event browser)
Drag your new / improved clip from the event browser onto the clip
in the new timeline, choose replace - et voila!
Click on the back arrow (top left on the tl window) and close this
temporary timeline and go back to your project.
All effects and settings (e.g. in/out) are applied also in your replaced clip too.
If these settings are obsolete because your new clip is improved you have
to delete them.

I use this very often if I want to replace a video clip by a graded version.
I dont have to do a xml roundtrip of a project to Resolve to grade a single clip.
Just grade one clip and bring it back to your project as described.

hope that helps

Return to posts index

Rory McGuinness
Re: here we go!
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:19:21 pm

Clermond,

I just tested this and it works great. It's nice to have this option in addition to the "relinking" solution which Ronny offered, because they appear to accomplish the same thing with a significant difference:

Apparently if you "relink" in the event library, each instance of your original clip (across multiple projects) will be replaced with the sweetened version. If you open the clip from the timeline and "replace", only that instance is affected.

Does this gel with everybody else's experience? If it's true, I'm really happy to have both options.

Thanks all,

-Rory

Return to posts index

Clermond Ferrand
one more thing..
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:31:03 pm

.. if you replace a clip in a compound or a in synchronized clip
it will be replaced too in every project you use this compound or sync clip

Return to posts index

Rory McGuinness
Re: one more thing..
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:36:48 pm

Thanks Clermond! That point about compound/synch clips was actually one of the next things I wanted to test. It's not always easy to intuit what X is going to do, so this forum is a godsend.

-Rory

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: one more thing..
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57:28 pm

If you want to modify a CC or a synched clip in the Timeline without affecting every instance of that clip in the same Project or in other Projects: select the CC or synched clip in the TL and choose Clip > Reference New Parent Clip.

This duplicates the original CC or synched clip in the Event Browser. You can now make as many changes as you want without affecting the original clip or any instances of it in the same Project or in other Projects.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]