FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ken Burns: change aspect ratio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kane
Ken Burns: change aspect ratio
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:29:31 am

I’m a newbie trying to do a Ken Burns on a still in FCP x.

Problem is changing the aspect ratio of the first (green) frame to the end (red) frame, i.e. moving from 4x3 in the first frame to 16x9 in the end frame. FXP x seems intent on keeping the aspect ratio at 4x3.

How do I migrate from 4x3 to 16.9 during a KB transition?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Ken Burns: change aspect ratio
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:16:23 pm

Hi John,

Are you sure this is what you want to do?

The KB effect is intended to always fill your image in the Viewer while panning/zooming in or out on the image. That's why the FCPX "Ken Burns" animation will always take the aspect ratio from your Project. If your Project is 4:3 the aspect ratio of both the Start and End selection frames will be 4:3, ensuring that the boundaries of your start and end selections will always fill the Project frame.

If you want to change the aspect of your image (i.e. crop it) while doing a KB-style animation you can do this manually by keyframing the Crop parameters in the Crop tool, but your image will gradually be cropped during the animation, which will look pretty awkward.

So I think what you really want to do is to zoom out from a 16:9 still and fit it completely in your 4:3 frame at the end of your animation, leaving black borders top and bottom of your image. Is that correct?

If this is the case that's not a Ken Burns effect, that's a simple zoom out effect and you can easily achieve this by keyframing the Scale and Position parameters in the Transform tool:

1. Select your still on the timeline and press SHIFT+T to activate the Transform tool.

2. Put your playhead where you want your animation to start on the Timeline and adjust the Transform overlay in the Viewer to set the start position and framing of your animation.

You can either drag and position the Transform overlay in the Viewer, or you can modify the Position and Scale parameters in the Inspector > Video > Transform section.

3. When you have set your start position and framing press the little diamond top left of your Viewer (between the two little arrows) to add a start keyframe for your animation.

4. Put your playhead where you want your animation to end on the Timeline and adjust the Transform overlay in the Viewer to set the end position and framing of your animation.

You can either drag and position the Transform overlay in the Viewer, or you can modify the Position and Scale parameters in the Inspector > Video > Transform section.

5. When you have set your end position and framing press the Done button top left of your Viewer and play your animation.

If you want to make any changes to your start and/or end position and scale: just select the clip in your Timeline and press SHIFT+T to activate the Transform tool again. Now you can use the little arrows top left of your Viewer to take you to the start or end frames and modify the position and scale of your start or end frames in the Viewer and/or the Inspector. When you are done with your changes press the Done button again.

Return to posts index

John Kane
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:30:02 pm

Ronny,

Thanks for your detailed response. Unfortunately, after trying it ten times I’m still unable to make it work.

On my latest go:
Opened the still (2407w x 3119h, Tiff) in the timeline and selected the clip
Changed the duration to 10 seconds
Activated crop mode via Shift+C, selected “Crop”
Moved the playhead one second into the clip
Left initial aspect ratio unchanged. All sliders were at center (0 px) positions.
Added a keyframe to every slider in the inspector under the “Crop” section.
Moved the playhead to nine seconds
Adjusted all four the sliders, creating a horizontal rectangle at the top of the viewer. Their pixel positions were shown as: L=967, R=757, T=72, B=2803,
Added a keyframe to every slider in the inspector under the “Crop” section.
Under “Type” selected “Crop”
Clicked on “Done”
When I ran the clip it zoomed in, but the final position had the same aspect ratio as the initial position, even though the pixel positions next to the sliders had the numbers shown above
However, if I click on the playhead in the timeline and drag from left to right, the viewer shows the frame moving to the desired position.
Tried rendering the clip, but the playback didn’t change.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Bruce Wittman
on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38:02 pm

Don't know if this will fix your problem, but when I keyframe two points, sometimes this action adds extra elements I don't want. Seems like FCPX wants to extrapolate between my two keyframes.

To fix this, I first move my cursor between my two keyframes and then I go to Transform (within the Inspector) and hit the Position "add key frame" button many times until the X and Y Position parameters do not change. This seems to help me when I want to animate my video without FCP adding any extra extrapolated movements to my two key frames.

Good luck!

Bruce Wittman
Executive Producer

Eagle Video Productions, Inc.
2201 Woodnell Drive
Raleigh, NC 27603-5240

Email: bruce@eaglevideo.com

pho: 919-779-7891
cel: 919-818-5556

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 22, 2013 at 4:12:57 pm

Hi John,

I think I have good news for you.

You are correct: the Crop tool will always fill your Viewer with your image, no matter how wide or high you make it. You could achieve what you want to do with a combination of Cropping or Transform and Trimming, but as Bruce says it will be very hard to make the animation look good because of all the interpolation issues FCPX has right now. I have tried it, it takes a lot of time and it still looks horrible even with the workaround of adding and deleting keyframes.

BUT while testing this out I have found a very quick and easy solution. I have made a little video about this, which you can download here: http://we.tl/yh5VYi98ui

In short it involves adding two Trim keyframes to a Ken Burns effect. Fast and easy and no interpolation issues.

In the video you will see that I use an Adjustment Layer for this. Adjustment Layers are very useful and everyone using FCPX should know how to use these. If you don't have one on your system yet you can download a free one here: http://www.rippletraining.com/using-the-adjustment-layer-title-in-final-cut...

Just install it with the installer you can download from the link on the web page and when you open FCPX you will find it in your Titles Browser under Custom. Then watch the little video to see how easily this can be done. If you have any further questions feel free to post back.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

John Kane
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:29:20 am

Ronny,

Thanks! Worked like a charm. And I learned a lot of stuff along the way, such as how adding a transformation to the adjustment layer crop can reposition the end-of-TL crop on the screen.

John.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:47:20 am

Glad it works for you. Adjustment layers are very useful for applying general filters or transformations to multiple stacked clips because they affect any clip underneath them.

That's why in the end of the video I put the adjustment layer and the still it affects into a Compound Clip. This prevents the adjustment layer from also cropping any background image you would put under the still animation.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

roger Carruthers
on May 9, 2016 at 2:50:00 pm

Hi Ronny,
I'm trying to do pretty much the same thing as the OP, i.e. animate some panoramic images, and just found this thread.
Unfortunately the video link is broken - any chance you could upload it again?
Cheers
Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]