FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame blending for SPEEDING UP footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Mrkva
Frame blending for SPEEDING UP footage
on Aug 17, 2013 at 2:15:59 am

When slowing down footage, there are options for frame blending and optical flow. But are there any options for speeding up? What I have is a long video that needs to be time lapsed, but I want to blend frames together. So the first frame in the final footage will be composed of multiple frames from the original composited together. This creates a nice blurring effect and can smooth out the final clip quite nicely.

I was going to jump into Motion to do it manually but I'm curious if FCPX has an easier way to accomplish this.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Frame blending for SPEEDING UP footage
on Aug 17, 2013 at 5:35:23 am

Maybe it depends on how fast you're speeding up. At 200% I get frame blending as an option but optical flow is ghosted out.

Return to posts index

Justin Mrkva
on Aug 17, 2013 at 6:48:46 am

I do get frame blending as an option but it doesn't do anything. It only applies to clips slowed down, not sped up. If I speed it up by 8x, for example, it only shows 1 per every 8 frames, not groups of 8 frames blended together.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 17, 2013 at 4:01:31 pm

If you're doing it in Motion right now, why not build a FCPX effect and publish it.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Justin Mrkva
on Aug 17, 2013 at 7:21:53 pm

Mainly because I haven't done it in Motion yet. I know of at least one way to do it (a very manual process, not suited for publishing as an effect) and another way (which could be published as an effect, but could have artifacts if the speed multiplier wasn't a multiple of the motion blur step count).

• Method 1: Speed up the clip, duplicate it manually and shift each by 1 frame, composite the layers. This would also allow for interesting effects (create more copies for a "trail" effect, less for less of a blurring factor). Publishing this would be tricky though.

• Method 2: Speed up the clip, use motion blur to interpolate. This should result in multiple samples but could also result in artifacts (discrete samples from an unequally discretized set of frames).

• Method 3: I came up with this one while typing the previous descriptions. Basically it involves using particles of the movie, with the number published as a parameter. Opacity would also be published; this could actually be exploited for a sort of multisample brightening for night timelapses. It's more manual than simple frame blending but would give a lot of control over the final result.

• I think I'm going to experiment with Method 3 a little bit, that seems like the most viable option.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
    on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:14:35 am

Justin,
    I have one shot tilting up a figure from shoe to cu on face that is at 50% speed and plays back a bit jerky if that is the right term. I assume these options you mention would help?

How do I set them?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Justin Mrkva
    on Aug 19, 2013 at 4:27:45 am

You're going to want to look under Modify -> Retime -> Video Quality (or Video Quality under the retime shortcut button, which is just to the left of the Effects button) and then select either Frame Blending or Optical Flow. FB is simpler and much faster, generally looks either okay or good, and works for most footage. OF only works for some footage, and depending on whether or not it works or not, it can either look outstanding or horrible. :D You can find information on both techniques; the best thing is to experiment with them.

Since you're dealing with slowed down footage, both options should be applicable.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
    on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:21:31 am

Thanks Justin. I'll give it a shot.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]