FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best strategy for logging footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Davis
Best strategy for logging footage?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 2:16:34 pm

I'm cutting some promos this week in FCPX, and I think there could be a better way for me to log and tag my material. My source material is five 30 minute shows loaded in their entirety.

My first step was to speed through the shows and tag favorites based purely on dynamic visuals, and then go back and pull specific soundbites based on the producer's log notes. These soundbites went quickly and easily into a keyword collection with a hot key shortcut. So far so good.

I'd like to go back and add notes to the selects, most importantly the soundbites, so that finding a particular bite will be fast. With my "soundbites" keyword collection shots in list view, I can add a phrase to the Notes field, but that puts the same Notes information into every clip from that reel. I tried another column (Scene) and adding information again applies it to every clip from the same reel.

If I twirl down each clip to reveal the "soundbites" keyword, I can add unique information to the Notes field that only applies to that clip. Great! But... If I click away to another keyword collection and come back, all my clips are "un-twirled" so I don't see my notes anymore. Frustrating.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a better way to have access to a list of shot notes?

Thanks much,
Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: Best strategy for logging footage?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:14:28 pm

Hi William,
I am able to log notes into a keyword's notes entry. Were you having issues with this?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Aug 16, 2013 at 4:33:21 pm

Like Michael, I can also add different notes for each clip in the Notes field. Can you describe more fully or post a shot of your issue?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

William Davis
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:18:48 pm

That works for me as well, but when I click away to another keyword collection and then come back, all the notes are hidden because the twirl down icons have reset to the closed position. I don't want to have to twirl down a few hundred clips every time I return to this keyword collection.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:50:19 pm

Ahh, yeah. That'll happen. It's not so great at remembering your twirlies.

Here's a little song I just wrote.
♬ Feature Request Time! ♬

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:11:27 pm

I'm not sitting at my computer so this is from memory (which ain't what it used to be) but wouldn't you just select all then opt-right arrow to open them all up in one go? Pretty sure it opt-right/left arrow to open/close the disclosure triangles...

It'd be much better if it remembered the state of the triangles but Apple don't seem to be in a rush to fix this one.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:13:04 pm

To "un-twirl" all your clips do this: click the arrow button (the main header one) to close all clips when in list view. Then option click the arrow and all clips will be "un-twirrled" at once.

This is a huge time savior in order to see all your favorite or keyword notes.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:36:05 am

Twirling down by hitting the right arrow key on the keyboard, left arrow to twirl up.

Therefore select as many clips as you like, and right arrow to twirl them all down.

BTW. If you add notes to individual keyword ranges on a clip, those notes as well as keywords will be carried through to your timeline. If you favorited those ranges, then the favorite notes done get carried to the timeline.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]