FORUMS: list search recent posts

Command Editor + Roles?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Angelo
Command Editor + Roles?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:02:32 am

Either I'm missin' something or this is just another feature request that will need to be resolved in the future:

1) Once you create a Custom Role or Sub Role you can't delete or edit them is this right?

2) There doesn't seem to be a way to create a custom keystroke in the Command Editor to apply to a Custom Role you've created only default menu items and commands?

Anyone know a work around?

Tossing preferences to deal with inability to properly edit/delete custom roles is a drag cuz you lose everything else in preferences.

Editing without keystrokes slows things down, it would be nice to have a more customizable Command Editor.

Take it a feature request is only course of action for now?

Cheers to y'all

MA

"A life without cause is a life without effect." -Dildano

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
Re: Command Editor + Roles?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:21:46 am

Found this on the web after some hunting, bizarre but true:

turns out that you have to do the following to delete roles.
Remove the role from any clip on a timeline (FCPX won’t let you remove a role if it’s assigned)
Restart FCPX (Not 100% sure why we have to restart, something must happen on start up of FCPX)
You should now be able to go in and use backspace/delete to the role.

Seems strange you can't simply edit roles especially if you haven't assigned them to actual clips just created them

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:31:09 am

Thanks for posting the info you found, I'm guessing the restart of FCPX is needed to clear the undo history.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 18, 2013 at 2:18:21 am

Michael, custom roles are protected in this way, because those custom roles can be used in more than one project. This feature is there to prevent you from accidentally removing roles from a project you may need to go back to.

Also, you have to make sure that the Role isn't assigned to any clip in any viewable event as well. In other words, as long as you have one clip in any event, you won't be able to delete the role.

However, you don't actually have to reassign anything if you don't want to. You can simply hide the project and event from FCPX by placing them in another folder aside from the ones FCPX looks for. If an event or project is out of sight, then it's out of mind for FCPX, and you can delete the role.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Aug 18, 2013 at 5:51:25 am

Thanks for the shout Andy...

Yep it makes sense that once you have assigned a role to a clip, you can't modify it. However, before actually committing that role to any clip, it would be cool if it was editable. You could rethink workflow, improve a name, heck correct a typo. No big deal really in the long run, just means a messy Role Menu if you are like me and making lots of roles, building/modifying a new pipeline as you go.

The ability to assign a keystroke to a custom role via command editor, now that was the real beef I was having. It could really save a lot of time going through a years worth of footage assigning roles. I intend to use roles a lot for various mixes and mastering to get around the trackless workflow.

Guess there's some challenge assigning a keystroke to a volatile menu command, so I get it and FCPX is so new. I'm not a programmer so prolly too user centric in this desire. It will be interesting to see where the product goes. Relational database editing kicks ass that's for sure ;)

Cheers

MA

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:09:36 am

[Michael Angelo] "However, before actually committing that role to any clip, it would be cool if it was editable."

It is. As long as you haven't assigned the role to a clip, you can change the name of it or delete it entirely without issue.

Regarding the shortcuts, it would be nice if they designed something along the line of the keyword shortcut solution. A group of shortcuts like CMD+OPT 1-9 that were reserved for custom roles, I guess. I go back and forth about it. I typically don't need a shortcut for roles since I can just lasso a bunch of clips and change their roles at the same time with a click on the Roles column in the browser. But if you were going to design a shortcut for custom roles, it may need to be something like that, or something similar to what Avid uses for Custom Bins.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:20:54 pm

Wasn't able to edit even before assigning role to any clip but no biggy moving onto other brain twisters

thanks for the shout Andy really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]