FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony MXF to pro res 422 conversion.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary dumbill
Sony MXF to pro res 422 conversion.
on Aug 13, 2013 at 6:57:44 pm

Sorry if this question has already been answered but I'm struggling to find an answer in the forums.

I have 3 cards of footage, shot on a Sony f-55, all copied and backed-up onto drives. Organised by card, included all files & data from each card (MXF, XML & BIM)

I am trying to transcode this into 422, to edit in FCP7.

I'd usually import into FCP7, but the Sony MXF footage isn't supported.

Initially I downloaded FCPX and the Sony codec for handling MXF files in FCPX, imported the clips and tried transcoding the media. Upon doing this I got the error message ''Camera clips cannot be processed. You must import/reimport these first in order to process.''

Next, I downloaded XDCAM browser, and imported one of the cards into this, (100gb) so took some time. This creates a new 'clip' folder on the drive which all of the MXF's copy into fine, allowing me to preview.

But once imported the clips appear with a red cross next to them.

When I go back into FCPX I cannot see the drive with the new clips on anymore.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Gary

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Sony MXF to pro res 422 conversion.
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:15:15 am

XDCAM browser (now EOL and you're supposed to use Content Browser) works fine for me.

Do you first go into Preferences and set the output folder? If you're doing nothing it may be exporting back to the disc and you just get files compatible with the disc.

Set the output folder in Preferences and you'll get the .MOVs from the XDCAM disc.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:14:00 am

First, you need to know what codec the camera recorded. The F55 records four, count 'em FOUR codecs, all in MXF containers.

-XDCAM/MPEG50 422: Importable by FCPX directly, you need the Sony XDCAM PDZK-LT2 plugin installed.

-XAVC 422 10bit: Importable by FCPX directly, again need the PDZK-LT2 plugin to import

-SR codec, (aka SStP). Not directly importable yet. Must download "SR Viewer" from Sony, then re-wrap each MXF file into a .mov one-by-one. Resulting Quicktime files will import into FCPX no problem.

-Raw/MXF: Not importable, must be transcoded. This will probably not ever be importable in FCPX, since the camera can simultaneously record MPEG50 proxy files that you can edit with, and that would be the preferred method.

Additionally, if you have a machine new enough to run it, DaVinci Resolve Lite (free) can import all flavors of F55 files and export to Quicktimes of any codec, ProRes included. It works very well for this, but you will have to read the manual to set up export options to export individual files with original file names.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:49:19 pm

>>Raw/MXF: Not importable, must be transcoded. This will probably not ever be importable in FCPX..

I wouldn't say that. FCPX already directly imports R3D files, which are essentially the same idea. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Sony and Apple have not already agreed to implement this.

Return to posts index

joanna krupa
on Dec 10, 2014 at 1:54:27 pm
Last Edited By joanna krupa on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:11:18 am

To install XDCAM browser, and then restart FCP, right click the import, there will be XDCAM browser this option. Then you can import the file.

If still fails, you can try rewrap MXF videos to Prores so that FCP 7 and X can afford.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:39:16 pm

FCPX 10.1.4, you an import MXf files right in to FCPX. No extra software or steps necessary.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]