COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bernard
Decide where to paste as connected
on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:15:46 pm

Hello everyone,

FCPX is driving me crazy today.
I am wondering if I am missing something here. Here's the situation:
To accommodate his highness FCPX, I have to make a couple workarounds to achieve our usual workflow for grading and onlines.
On of this workaround forces me to do a massive copy-paste as connected clips.
The problem is I haven't found any damn way to control the behavior of the software in regards of where it pastes my content. I want FCPX to connect it above everything on my timeline. Sometimes it works, sometimes part of what I paste is connected over the main story line and part is under, sometimes it's pasted under the already connected clips, cometimes on top, etc

Am I missing something? is there comeway to control this hectic behavior?

By the way, I am copying video only ProRes422 on top of Video only ProRes 422.
Thanks for the help

Dan

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Decide where to paste as connected
on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:50:19 pm

Why not paste it at the end of the timeline and then drag it above where you want.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:49:22 pm

Unfortunately there is no way to do that. Definitely submit it as a feature request. I want to be able to do that, too.

I second Bret's advice. If you have to place all the clips above the timeline and need to remember your position, just add a marker where you need to paste the clips. Then move them all over to that point once you've pasted to the end of the TL.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:55:52 pm

Select the clips you want to copy. Make them a compound clip (Option G). "Option Drag" the compound clip (which creates a copy) to the place you want it. Then break apart both compound clips (Shift Command G).

I use compound clips all the time as a way to move around large amounts of clips without them getting "rearranged".

anickt

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:01:20 am

When I break apart multilayered compound clips in this fashion, they don't interweave back into the sequence correctly. They suffer from the same pasting problem. Though usually repairable.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:01:15 am

Thank you all for you help and comments.

For the paste at the end and Compound clips, those are both very good advice, and I actually do both in some situations. I was hoping there'd be a way to do that without having to work around the software.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:07:00 am

Hi Daniel,

Out of curiosity: what do you need to do, and can't, that forces you to do the 'workaround' of pasting as connected clips in the first place?

Cheers
Carsten

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:26:57 am

Daniel,

I would be very interested to know why you have to use this workaround as well.

As to your paste issue, try this:

Put an Adjustment Layer on top of your entire edit. Then copy/paste as connected. Do all the copied clips get pasted as connected clips above the Adjustment Layer now?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:27:03 pm

While I did not use and adjustement layer, using a filler clip (for me it's a QT of the offline), seems to do the trick.

As for you curiosity, it's all about roundtripping FCPX - Resolve.
I work on the online and the grading of a 45 minutes TV program. The offline sequence I receive consist to:
Several hundred cuts (around 900) with alot of speed ramping (around 100), several tiff images (couple hundred occurences), Hold frames too, hard mattes and ProRes4444 overlays clips and, finally, titles.
As you can read, it is quite a heavy project to handle. I use the Copy-Paste as connected clip technique for quite a few things. But it's basically to deconstruct and timeline (or project if you wish) and building it back again. For example, tiffs, mattes, titles, Hold, and still images don't go to resolve. So I need to put them aside and be able to bring them back on again. For another example, I need to copy all speed ramp to a new project, bake the speed ramp in and then bring those clips back into the timeline, since the speedramp seems to drift both, when it gets to Resolve and when it goes back to FCPX afterward.

I always manage though, I'm always just curious to ask around if there are some ways to improve the workflow. FCPX is still a relatively young software, therefore there are still ways to be discovered.

Thank you,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:18:21 pm

Glad it works for you.

We often add an adjustment layer before we add subtitles to a complex timeline, or when we need to paste multi-layer graphics above an already complex edit. The adjustment layer prevents any new items from dropping between existing stacks of clips or lower thirds above the Primary, and it keeps our timeline visually organized.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 15, 2013 at 12:55:03 am

[Daniel Bernard] "Hold, and still images don't go to resolve. So I need to put them aside and be able to bring them back on again."

Can you explain how the copy/paste as connected accomplishes this for you? I'm having trouble visualizing. Are you just creating a copy so you can remove the tiffs, mattes and things from the original project and then drop them back in? Don't your copied as connected clips end up in Resolve when you export?

andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:09:05 am

Sure, I'll give you an overview.

First, I make a duplicate of the offline project.
I export a timecode burn in version of the offline and then make two new projects, _toRESOLVE and toPATCH. On the main storyline of both these projects, there is my TCBI QT of the offline, used as a referenced to make sure everything is still synched.
I then open the offline duplicate, CMD+C all the clips that are going to Resolve and ALT+V them into the toRESOLVE to project, spot checking to make sure everything is still synched with the offline. I then go back to the offline project, select everything that is not going to resolve and do the same thing in the porject toPATCH.
I then send the project to RESOLVE, grade the heel out of it, send a new XML to FCPX, import it, select everything in toPATCH project, CMD+C and then ALT+V in my fromRESOLVE project and we have a show.

It's still an overview, there are still some more details, but it's roughly how I manage the roundtripping from one software to the other.

Why were you curious? Are you working with FCPX / Resolve duo too?

Daniel

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:33:11 am

[Daniel Bernard] "Why were you curious? Are you working with FCPX / Resolve duo too?"

Not at the moment, but I may have need to and I was curious about your workflow. Have you considered making compound clips of your Resolve-useable assets and unusable assets instead of the copy/paste method? I'm not sitting at my machine now, but could that potentially work since compounds save to the event and you can lay them in with the Q shortcut? Just a thought.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:43:54 am

Not sure my answer will be clear, I think I'd need to illustrate, but I'll give it a shot.

It wouldn't work because what goes and doesn't goes into Resolve isn't organized. If I select all the clips that shouldn't go into resolve, I'd be selecting clips from the storyline, the secondary storyline and connected clips and those that have transitions to clips that aren't selected would drift. So I'd end up with an unsychronized messy compound.

The thing I could do would be creating several compounds, but it just takes longer than the method I use right now and more complicated with a higher risk for software issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]